wedding ring hand!

I have a bit of a problem concerning my ring finger... basically it doesn't exist anymore :(

11 years ago I was in a car accident which left me with two fingers having to be amputated. Unfortunately one of them was my wedding ring finger. This hasn't really bothered me before (even though I had thought about it once or twice) mainly because I was 17 and marriage was far far in the future. However I am now heading swiftly towards getting married and it is starting to be an issue for both of us.

I have heard that certain countries such as Germany etc. wear them on the right hand but I have also heard that the gay community do too?! Does anyone know the right or wrong way or if it even matters nowadays? I have German relatives so I have the connection there, but I don't want to wear it on the right If this is then classed as gay...

Any input much appreciated

I have had it mentioned that I could wear it round my neck on a chain but don't want to do this.

tattoomytoe

i do not think there is a set way...just traditional ways...so what ever you decide to do with your ring is your personal choice....have your wife wear hers like you wear yours.

I have heard of some Europeans wearing their wedding ring on their right hand.

I can't say I've heard of the right hand being used by gay men.

Decide what makes both you and your wife comfortable.

Baldy,

That is so noble of you to be concerned. I say whatever you are comfortable with. The ring is a wedding ring regardless. Most people can distinguish a glass ring, a mason's ring, engagement ring and wedding ring from eachother, so it shouldn't matter what finger in your case. My wife and I wear our wedding rings traditionally plus we wear our 10th year anniversary rings on our left index finger, ( Yes, she bought me one too ), and we don't care what other people think...we mostly get compliments....if it means something else in another country or this one....it's just a "thing" to us and we could care less....

Congrats to the marriage by the way!!!

I've heard gay people eat at restaurants, go to movies, and use public washrooms, too. Be very afraid!

The right hand has been used by Europeans for a long time, but even if it hadn't, it's not as if you have another option.

• Author

Cheers everyone for your input... and moimeme you are right, at the end of the day what choice do i have!

I do want to stress here that I am in no way homophiobic or anything. Wearing a ring is importent to me and I want people to see what it represents for the right reasons that is all... however what's worse, being mistaken for being Gay or being mistaken for being German? :p (Yes I can say that my Granny is German)

FolderWife

??? I like the idea that an above poster had....have your wife wear hers on the exact same finger you do :) It will make it extra special :love: If she still gets hit on by men who don't see a ring on her wedding finger, have her wear a seperate band on that finger, but have her wear her wedding rings on the same finger you do :love:

How sweet! You all could wear them on your index fingers :love:

Pyrannaste

Hello Baldy,

it is great that wearing your engagement ring is so important to you.

I think that in your case it would not really mind what finger you wear the ring My great-aunt had her left hand severely injured (she picked up an exploding device as a kid) and wore it on his little finger. Even in those years (around 1940, Italy, in a small village in the country in times where having sex outside marriage was regarded as an abomination) noone ever frowned upon her or had a problem with that. So I guess no sensible person would ever have problems with you wearing your ring on an another finger.

I like Moose's idea too. (about you and your wife wearing it on the same finger)