Gloating a little - over a rather surreal moment...

Thirty years ago, my first college sweetheart, Bob, was a guy whose parents bought and flipped vintage Mustangs, but he enjoyed buying and fixing up the occasional British car. As a 19-year old, it taught me some of the interesting aesthetics to the hobby and I could appreciate and began a slight interest British cars from the 60s and 70s - but never to the extent that I worked on cars myself. I just liked the look of some marquees.

A decade later - 20 years ago - I lived in Southern California in a 3-year relationship with a crazy closet cross-dresser, Mike, I met at Ren Faire who worked a variety of jobs including that old interest that we shared - the restoration and flipping of vintage British cars. We remained friends after the break-up and even met for dinner now and then when we found ourselves in each others' cities. Facebook came into existence and we kept in touch that way as well...

I've been engaged since New Years to Andy, a really cool guy and my Prince Charming, and over the past few weeks, I have introduced him to that old passion of mine, vintage British cars. In the past month, we have been to two vintage car shows, spent countless hours surfing the 'net for potential deals, and test-driving local cars for sale.

My birthday is this weekend and this past weekend, he bought me a Jaguar XK8 (not quite vintage, but that is okay - I'm going to sell my Jetta for the privilege of being back in a British car - and one with great style!) and it looks as though we'll be picking up Triumph GT6, Mk. III in the next two weeks - the car that I loved and lost in the Northridge earthquake.

Oh - and the surreal moment that caused me to start this thread? Before going to bed this evening, Andy was connecting via FB with Bob from 30 years ago about HIS Triumph he offered to give me if I wanted to have it hauled to us (garaged for twenty years, not quite the project we had in mind) and Andy had a 45-minute phone call on speaker-phone with Mike who still flips cars. Together they were looking at eBay and Craigslist offerings of cars that are available and debating the merits and detriments of each car as restoration projects.

What goes around comes around and I am blessed to have great relationships with my Ex's, to have this amazing Fiance who is not only picking up and sharing my interests, but running with it in a way I never would have dreamed possible. Mike is coming over next week for dinner and I have a feeling the two of them will be chatting like two girls discussing hair-dos or make-up!

I am a lucky, lucky girl... :love::love::love:

• Like 9

I never cease to be amazed by your stories on your past, your ex's, or the fact that your current prince charming is so confident and cool to be around your ex's and accepting of it all. It is indeed rare. You seem to have it all right now. You are a direct and honest woman, keep up the posts.

• Like 1
CptSaveAho

You should invite all of them together and teach them how to play with barbie dolls and have a tea party and make them a mud pie while you're at it

What candy store did you find all those suckers at?

My birthday is this weekend and this past weekend, he bought me a Jaguar XK8 (not quite vintage, but that is okay - I'm going to sell my Jetta for the privilege of being back in a British car - and one with great style!) and it looks as though we'll be picking up Triumph GT6, Mk. III in the next two weeks - the car that I loved and lost in the Northridge earthquake.

Back in the 70's, my ex drove a TR6 and I had a Jensen Healy. Driving British cars, you certainly develop a first-name relationship with your mechanic :eek: ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
Silly_Girl

Lovely post!!

And also because your Prince Charming and mine share the same name. And in a few weeks I'll be Mrs Charming and can barely believe my luck. Keep enjoying all those wonderful moments! :)

• Like 1
TaraMaiden
You should invite all of them together and teach them how to play with barbie dolls and have a tea party and make them a mud pie while you're at it

What candy store did you find all those suckers at?

Bitches gonna bitch....

How's your luck with the ladies, so far, you charmer, you.???

TaraMaiden

Happy Birthday CarrieT!

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks, all...

It has been a pretty awesome ride (no pun intended) all around. Mr. Lucky, he is seriously obsessed with the TR3, but I think we will start with the GT6 to get our feet wet and aspire to a TR3 "for retirement."

This is a guy that when he gets interested in something, goes all out to learn about it (which is why he speaks nine languages). In the past three weeks, he has been staying up until 2:00 a.m. every night reading and reading and reading about which car to get and what might go wrong with it. It makes him very thorough in all regards to his life and makes him an excellent surgeon.

Even in the short time we have known each other, I can see that our life will never be dull; if there is something new of interest, he will endeavor to dive in, full bore... He is incredibly supportive of my artistic endeavors and the book I am going to be writing. I think we are going to have a very nice marriage. :love:

• Like 1