An Article Worth Reading

CosmoGirl1391

The April 2004 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine published a wonderful article entitled "Has Marriage Become A Joke?". At last, a popular magazine has printed something worth reading. It reflects exactly the way I feel about how people view marriage in today's society.

I think eventually it may come down to 2-5 year contracts! HAHA!

I agree with you....it's a SHAME people are taking marriage so lightly.

sportsloving

Should be a lease with option to buy on marriages... ok maybe not, LOL.

Being how I have been down the marriage and divorce road twice now, (nothing like getting THAT out of your system before the ripe age of 35)... here are my views on what the world should do (according to Sporty of course)

1. Mandatory counseling before marriage (including personality tests, compatability tests, etc etc).

2. Raise the cost of a marriage license to appropriate cost of divorce

3. Gag factor on previous relationships not discussed previous to honeymoon

4. Remote control custody rights to BOTH partners

5. Mandatory Men night out with boys, Mandatory Women night out with girls

Ok I am warped but at least I admit freely... and without restraint!

Cosmogirl1391

So when did it become illegal to quote an article? It's not as if I posted the article and claimed it as my own. I said where it was from and put it in quotations. I think that's legal, guys. Lighten up.

Anyway -

Sportsloving,

I think the mandatory counseling before marriage is a wonderful idea. It defintely should be enforced. Some states actually have the option that if you take at least 4 hours of pre-marital counseling, then you get so much off the price of the marriage license, so that encourages it a little bit.

But even if all those things you listed were actually enforced, I doubt that would lower the divorce rate. Things won't change unless people's views and morals change about marriage.

sportsloving
Originally posted by Cosmogirl1391

Anyway -

Sportsloving,

I think the mandatory counseling before marriage is a wonderful idea. It defintely should be enforced. Some states actually have the option that if you take at least 4 hours of pre-marital counseling, then you get so much off the price of the marriage license, so that encourages it a little bit.

But even if all those things you listed were actually enforced, I doubt that would lower the divorce rate. Things won't change unless people's views and morals change about marriage

I agree with things not changing until morals and views are changed. But I also know for a fact that if it was harder to get married... it would make people think twice about taking the steps... and then deciding it wasn't for them and divorcing.

If I had to follow even step one of my little list, I know for a fact neither one of my marriages (and following) divorces would have happened. Counseling before marriage is a great indication of how much one is willing to invest in their futures together.

I don't know that I agree with a four hour counseling session being means enough to discount the cost of a marriage license. Both of my licenses were about $25 bucks... not enough to cry over... my first divorce was near $1500 and the second just under $600. Now if someone (such as me in previous) had to pay $1500 just for a license, you can rest assured it would take a great deal more than just saying "sure, we can get married".

Four hours of counseling isn't what I had in mind... lol, unless it was four hours a week for at least a three month period. Some folks spend less than that (4 hours)on quality time together actually getting to know another before the marriage is granted.

Hence back to you, morals and views must be changed about marriage. It is suppose to be a lifetime commitment. It is for better or worse... not til I can find something better to do, someone who is younger, or I am bored so now I leave.

Now I realize that I want it all or nothing at all. I want the man to love me as much as I love him, I want to grow old sitting in rocking chairs holding hands... and I won't be settling for anything less. It just took me a long time to figure out I was worth it~

So when did it become illegal to quote an article? It's not as if I posted the article and claimed it as my own. I said where it was from and put it in quotations. I think that's legal, guys. Lighten up.

Intellectual property laws are pretty stringent. There is a provision in the laws for 'fair use' which means different things regarding different publications. Some organizations don't permit their stuff to be used even if the 'fair use' rules are followed. It would be LS that would have to pay the penalty.

CosmoGirl1391

Yeah, yeah and all that stuff. I know the deal, moimeme, but thanks anyway. It's just crazy how nit picky people are about stuff, but I understand. It's cool.

Originally posted by Cosmogirl1391

Read the terms of use and you'll have no problems figuring out what is and is not acceptable on this site. If you have any further questions regarding this, you should contact the site administrators via the "contact us" link.