Feeling totally lost

Hi There,

I would like to tell you my story cause I’m tired of thinking it over & over & not finding a Solution. I’m a girl who is in love soooooooooo much with a wonderful person “A MAN OF MY DREAMS” & he loves me as well, but the problem is that I’m a MUSLIM & he is a CHRISTIAN. For us, we are willing to do anything it would take in order to be together at the end. I’m 24 & he is 29 We both have jobs & can support our selves financially, but we still can’t leave the country if the problems start between the families cause no body would understand how we do feel, at the same time we would like to minimize the pain for everybody, but what we are sure of is that WE CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT EACH OTHER.

Thanks a lot

There aren't many solutions to this. You're obviously still living for the benefit of your families and that's not a good way to start out a serious relationship that will lead to marriage and could cause major problems later on.

Basically, the ONLY way to preserve the peace would be to not disclose the two of you were an item and just leave the country separately and meet up wherever.

This is a problem that can't be solved because it involves too many narrowminded, prejudiced, biased people.

Even if one of you converts, that's going to make one of the families angry. I really hate this kind of religious bigotry. It has no place in the modern world.

I strongly urge that if and when the two of you decide to get married you will not consider the opinions of others. It's a cruel world out there and you will need the strong support of each other.

I also urge you to get to a point where other's opinions will not affect you. I promise you, if the two of you get together....no matter what the circumstances....if your families are as prejudiced as you indicate you will have problems with them all the days of your lives. Just don't answer the phone. Make sure you think this one out long and hard as to just how it will affect the two of you, your lives, your children, etc.

Think a LONG time!!!

I'm going to repeat Tony's last note:

Think a LONG time!!!

While I have to agree also with Tony about religious fanaticism and bigotry, the picture you really need to focus on is between the two of you...

I hate to be a cynic, since I tend to be just the opposite whenever possible - but contrary to poetic belief, love does not conquer all. After all, both Romeo and Juliet ended up dead.

Fundamental differences in religion is nothing to sneeze at. Note that when you're in the initial throes of love, it is easy to overlook the long-term problems you will have to face. There's a reason its called "madly in love;" its because you're crazy with all the endorphins and mental pictures of happiness you are filled with! Consider the completely different backgrounds from which you come - the different basic beliefs about life that you both have that may be contradictory. Realize these are very hard to change. How will they affect your relationship down the road?

How important is religion to the two of you? Perhaps you can reconcile your differences in the knowledge that both of your religions started out in the beginning with the same God...

Just think...let the initial infatuation wear off a bit before y'all get too hot and bothered about your situation. Wait until you can think logically and with less emotion. If you were really both meant for each other, waiting for this time isn't going to matter all that much in the grand scheme of things...