Does your loev change as the relationship matures?

I am reading this book it is a romance novel and it centers on an intense relationship between two people. The relationship is new in the book and their feeling are very strong.

It got me to thinking about love in a long term relationship. Does love change? the quality of it? How it feels and is expressed.

I remember the first blush everything was exciting and the feeling we so intense and volitile even.

now after 8 years it is not so volitile. more calm but maybe deeper. But there are still spurts of these intense feelings.

So last night I was pondering will it feel the same 10 years from now? 20?

I don't that is my thought of the day.

Gosh yes, it changes, even from day to day. people change, people evolve and life is transformative.

Kids are the biggest impact upon a relationship.

But even without kids, things are always shifting.

No question.

Talk about rolling with the punches and going with the flow.....

• Author

I was thinking about it because this week I have been longing for him and missing him and I haven't felt that for a long time. Since we move din together.

Love is so weird sometimes.

I can tell you this....

Our first three or so years, we couldn't stand each other. We fought constantly. We seperated even, but we had JP and we knew that since we had a son together, we would see each other occasionally throughout his life...

As most people know around here, I'm a devout Christian and I don't believe in divorce unless there is physical abuse or infidelity.

Because of that, we've learned to accept each other's faults, and live peacefully with compromise.

If I EVER lost my wife, I would literally die like a fish out of water.

I look forward to seeing her, talking to her, and holding her every night!!

• Author
I can tell you this....

Our first three or so years, we couldn't stand each other. We fought constantly. We seperated even, but we had JP and we knew that since we had a son together, we would see each other occasionally throughout his life...

As most people know around here, I'm a devout Christian and I don't believe in divorce unless there is physical abuse or infidelity.

Because of that, we've learned to accept each other's faults, and live peacefully with compromise.

If I EVER lost my wife, I would literally die like a fish out of water.

I look forward to seeing her, talking to her, and holding her every night!!

We fought a lot too in the beganing. I think it was because we had both been single and living by ourselves for so long.

Than it settled down as we started to trust each other most and work out our problem than the passion wasn't as intense more like a quiet love.

but I still look forward to seeing him everyday. and talking to him etc...

Last night as we were lying together in bed I was listening to his heart beating and felt this intense rush of love. I was just pondering if in 20 years whether or not I will still get those rushes.

I was just pondering if in 20 years whether or not I will still get those rushes.

You will, only it will be Hot Flashes from menopause :lmao:

Nikki Sahagin

I'm not qualified to say 'in 20 years' - I am at the just before 2 year mark! But I still get butterflies, I still could cry seeing him smile, I still love the way he hugs me, it's still as intense. So I hope I still feel that way in 20 years time :) Unless we break up....in which case....I hope the feelings don't stay! :p

Folks, listen: Everytthing has a beginning, a middle and an end.

Whether that end is by nature, accident or design - well, there's no way of knowing.

But at the srisk of sounding like a 40's 'B' move, never go to bed on an argument, and always separate with the words 'I love you', because you have NO GUARANTEE - NONE at all - that you will ever see that person alive, again.

Does that sound final and dramatic?

Tell that to the people enmeshed in 9/11.....

Who would have thought, as they all went about their business.... took a lift up to the top floors to go to work, boarded the 'plane on a business trip.... that it would be the final thing they ever did?

So cherish every single breathing moment.

Take the opportunity to stroke your SO's hair. Hold their hand, cuddle them, make them breakfast, whatever. Add a touch of love.

And if you break up, was all that wasted?

No, heck it wasn't.

It made them a happier person.

And it made you, a better person.

melodymatters

I completely agree with your two " B" movie rules, and follow both of them religiously !

I think long term love is like the ocean tides, sometimes it recedes, but in a good R, the tides always come rolling back in !

• 2 weeks later...

For us, my wife and I, it's not a lineal progression. There are times when it is rich and deep like the ocean, and times when it is as bright as a spring morning. Sex can be either very emotional and loving, or wild , tear the house down. We went to a friends house for dinner and on the way home, pulled off the road and were all over each other ,like H.S. The way to keep a book fresh is to always be ready to write a new chapter.

For us, my wife and I, it's not a lineal progression. There are times when it is rich and deep like the ocean, and times when it is as bright as a spring morning. Sex can be either very emotional and loving, or wild , tear the house down. We went to a friends house for dinner and on the way home, pulled off the road and were all over each other ,like H.S. The way to keep a book fresh is to always be ready to write a new chapter.

Ummm, I don't mean to put you on the spot but....if this is the case, why did'ya cheat on her? (I'm new here so forgive me for not knowing your whole story)