We must 'take a break'?

liamsclarke

So, I've been in a long distance relationship for a few months now, after meeting each other online. Yes, it's quite a distance. He lives just outside of Aurora, Colorado and I live 80 miles southwest of London, England. We've made plans to see each other and he's coming over when he finishes high school.

We were talking today and he was getting really stressed about school, and flatly told me that 'we need a break' and that he can't talk to me until the month is up, so what does that mean? Does that mean it's over? Or does that mean until he does some studying we can talk again? I'm very confused as he is often loving and kind and sweet when we skype, but is abrasive and cold over text.

I've really fallen for him, and fallen hard, and he has told me the same thing, I'm just confused. Do you think he'll come around? We had plans to Skype later on today but I'm guessing that's gone to ****...

What exactly was the plan here?

Colorado and England? A relationship isn't based on Skyping or computer conversations unless you guys had a legit plan to move closer to each other.

What exactly was the plan here?

Colorado and England? A relationship isn't based on Skyping or computer conversations unless you guys had a legit plan to move closer to each other.

And not out of high school?

Is "the break" going to be four years? As in college?

january2011

It means that he is prioritising school over spending time with you.

At that age, it's probably a good idea. Sorry to say.

Unless you/he has a lot of money and you manage to spend a lot of time together in the same country, the relationship is going to be very difficult to maintain.

My SO and I have spent the last two years Skyping, with visits every few months or so. We're about a generation or two older than you and we're finding it tough with jobs and families.

I suggest that you use this month to focus on school, just as he is doing. Then see what happens if he gets in touch again.

• Author
liamsclarke

We planned to live together at some stage. And I don't want to sound stupid, but he's more than just a crush. He makes my heart beat fast when I see him and takes my breath away... and he messaged me since saying we need a break, telling me that no matter what he still loves me, but I still get worried! Maybe it's me, maybe I'm being silly- but he's a lot more blunt than I am.

We both committed after making the conscious decision to give it our all, and I'm not going to lie it's hard, but he's coming over for a month and I'm going to Colorado to see him, I think it's doable, but I've totally completely fallen head over heals for him and I can't even bare the thought of losing him.

I'm guessing in the US, the ACT tests are rather important? He's asking to have a break for them- which I totally understand but it's just a bit worrying...

ACT, SAT scores are extremely important. Yes, give him a break. He needs to do well if he is going to college.

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly
We planned to live together at some stage. And I don't want to sound stupid, but he's more than just a crush. He makes my heart beat fast when I see him and takes my breath away... and he messaged me since saying we need a break, telling me that no matter what he still loves me, but I still get worried! Maybe it's me, maybe I'm being silly- but he's a lot more blunt than I am.

We both committed after making the conscious decision to give it our all, and I'm not going to lie it's hard, but he's coming over for a month and I'm going to Colorado to see him, I think it's doable, but I've totally completely fallen head over heals for him and I can't even bare the thought of losing him.

I'm guessing in the US, the ACT tests are rather important? He's asking to have a break for them- which I totally understand but it's just a bit worrying...

Have you actually ever met him in person? I'm confused as to what he needs a break from, exactly...Skyping? Messaging?

In any case, if he says he needs a break, then unfortunately there's not much you can do. Give him his space and cut down the contact for a while.