Any tips/experiences on first meet up.. met her online..

DrStrangelove

Long story short. I'm 25, she's 22. We met on Shaadi.com (Indian matrimonial site). We have only been speaking for 2 weeks, via phone/text/skype. We planned to meet in-person April 12-14. I'm flying to Portland, and she resides in Seattle. She's is going to meet my sister and I. I offered to bring my sister as it would make her at ease. She said that way she could stay at the hotel w us.

I'm paying for the airfare, she the hotel. I also got some nba tickets for one night. I'm so nervous and it's 2.5 weeks away. I mean I have a really good feeling we should just click, but who knows.. Would hate to waste all this money (not to sound cheap).

Anyways, I can only be myself, and whatever happens, happens.

I'm flying from Sacramento.

Thoughts?

:)

It kind of sounds like you have it in the bag.

Was there something specific you wanted feedback about?

• Like 1
  • Author
DrStrangelove
:)

It kind of sounds like you have it in the bag.

Was there something specific you wanted feedback about?

I think I might be over-thinking it.. but, I don't want to come off to forward. Holding hands, hopefully a kiss.. I guess I just have to personally gauge the situation. I feel a little pressured to make a move since we wouldn't be seeing

each other often.

I think I might be over-thinking it.. but, I don't want to come off to forward. Holding hands, hopefully a kiss.. I guess I just have to personally gauge the situation. I feel a little pressured to make a move since we wouldn't be seeing

each other often.

Well, inviting your sister along was a very considerate move and I think it will go a long way toward showing this girl you're not in it for a quick romp.

I don't think holding hands is at all outside the realm of possibility.

Please hold off with the kiss the first day/night unless she initiates it.

Give her a little time to get used to you in person.

Speaking from experience, it's a bit of a mind scramble to suddenly have the person in front of you.

Figure there will be an adjustment period. :)

Did you decide on the tickets yet?

Edited: sorry. I see you already bought the game tix. Very fun!

Edited by cerridwen
  • Author
DrStrangelove
Well, inviting your sister along was a very considerate move and I think it will go a long way toward showing this girl you're not in it for a quick romp.

I don't think holding hands is at all outside the realm of possibility.

Please hold off with the kiss the first day/night unless she initiates it.

Give her a little time to get used to you in person.

Speaking from experience, it's a bit of a mind scramble to suddenly have the person in front of you.

Figure there will be an adjustment period. :)

Did you decide on the tickets yet?

Edited: sorry. I see you already bought the game tix. Very fun!

Yea, my sis said she would try and let us be. Have our own time. I will let

her initiate a kiss, but I will definitely hold hands on one of the dates. Thanks for the input.

If you really like her in person, you should let her know somehow. Not with words. I mean showing you're interested. She knows you are, but meeting in person you can find out she's different from what you really expected. Not necessarily about the looks. Maybe it's the way she behaves around you, who knows. Anyhow, you should find a way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
DrStrangelove

So, meeting the person in real life is a experience in itself.

We hit it off... we weren't to nervous around each other. We clicked

right away. We held hands, kissed, cuddled (nothing more than that)

which was good... don't want that kind of girl. Ummm..

She wants to come visit in June.. Other than that... not much.

If anyone has followed my threads.. I came out of a breakup that scarred

me, did the no contact, journals.. healed. Found someone so much better.

The grass can be greener on the other side.

• Like 5
Long story short. I'm 25, she's 22. We met on Shaadi.com (Indian matrimonial site). . . .
As a side note, I find the Indian cultural practices of dating and courtship rather intriguing and amusing. I don't mean that in any pejorative or condescending way - as an American who grew up (but never fully bought into) the "free love" era of the 1960's they are markedly different from my experiences. I became very aware of the differences when a young man, about my kids' age, who worked for me started asking for advice.

On the other hand I did have an experience somewhat similar to yours. I was almost 22 when a much older acquaintance suggested that I should meet her niece. Of course she didn't say so, but she knew us both and thought she saw compatibility characteristics. Her niece and I wrote to each other - real letters, on real paper; no email or text chat or phone calls - for over 3 months before we met in person. In retrospect it was a good way for two quiet and shy people to become very acquainted at a rather personal level.

We eventually DID meet, had our first date, etc. Yes, I held her hand and was a little surprised at how eagerly she seemed to accept that gesture. At the end of the date I decided to get real brave and try to kiss her. I figured I might get brushed off, or at best a perfunctory kiss out of obligation. To my surprise and delight, she not only kissed, but kissed back - REALLY kissed back! One year plus two weeks after that first date (and first kiss) we kissed at the altar in church, experienced the physical and emotional intensity of a double-virgin wedding night, eventually raised 3 kids and have been life partners for almost 39 years now.

I hope you get to have a similar experience.

• Like 3
  • Author
DrStrangelove

UPLIFTING STORY!

I loved hearing about that. Not trying to fill my story with fluff. But, I was nervous about going in for a kiss. When I did... she kissed back, very similarly to yours. I hope it works as well.

Happy to hear your relationship is in good standing :)

So, meeting the person in real life is a experience in itself.

We hit it off... we weren't to nervous around each other. We clicked

right away. We held hands, kissed, cuddled (nothing more than that)

which was good... don't want that kind of girl. Ummm..

She wants to come visit in June.. Other than that... not much.

If anyone has followed my threads.. I came out of a breakup that scarred

me, did the no contact, journals.. healed. Found someone so much better.

The grass can be greener on the other side.

I'm so glad you updated!

And that it worked out.

Now you're going to have to participate in the Countdown thread. :p

• Like 1