LD BF and I Broke Up!!!

Well, I should have listened to you guys...the inevitable happened! My long distance boyfriend and I broke up. Went down to see him last weekend(and for a job interview...didn't get the job either) and sh*t hit the fan and splattered all over my face! It was somewhat mutual, but a little more him. It was the longest and most involved relationship I have ever been in (about 10 months) and it's tearing me up! I have already cried a few good tears and am through that.

But he said that I am the only woman that he has ever dated that he has wanted to remain friends with. I am open to that idea, but not just yet, I really need time to cool off. I guess I am just venting here...but I am still sooooo pissed. I think I am more pissed at myself, and I know it's nothing I did.

The day after Valentines Day...Perfect timing! We were just sitting there talking about what we were going to do that day...he actually took the weekend off work so we could do something. And of course I had to bitch about some random thing...can't remember exactly what(it's all pretty much a blur right now)...but then I blurted out " Let me guess, You don't love me and never will, right"...he said yes. From that point we were both crying a little and we talked for about 3 hours about the whole relationship not being able to work, blah blah blah.

I am just in a super sh*tty mood and really don't have anyone close to talk to right now...All of my good friends are studying for midterms this week, not to mention they all live 200 miles away. Just need some advice on how to pick my a** back up! I know that might sound silly, but I have already tried a number of things to get my mind off of him, but nothing is working!

You just have to remember, very often relationships just don't work out and it's nobody's fault. You're the one who asked the question, not him. Love, real love, takes time to grow and blossom and it has to happen in person...not long distance. So you have learned something great and great things came out of the two of you being together. You should treasure his friendship because out of all this you have learned some very valuable lessons for the future. He wasn't really mean to you, just honest.

You'll have to heal from this, of course, and that will take a little time. But, frankly, I don't think it will take nearly as long to get over this as it would if the two of you had dated in close proximity.

Be kind to yourself and time will do the trick.

I am open to that idea, but not just yet, I really need time to cool off.

Take the time. You will need it. Probably two or three months. In the meantime, no contact. You will not get over this if you are talking to him. Just tell him you will contact him when you are ready.

And of course I had to bitch about some random thing...can't remember exactly what(it's all pretty much a blur right now)

Eek! Choose your bitching carefully!

...but then I blurted out " Let me guess, You don't love me and never will, right".

Double eek! Why did you ask this?

..he said yes.

Oh, yuck.

From that point we were both crying a little and we talked for about 3 hours about the whole relationship not being able to work, blah blah blah.

Three hours? Three hours? You should've left after he said "yes" above. Why waste three hours discussing things? Why? Don't do this again. Just get up and silently walk away. It is a better show of dignity than a three hour conversation. :bunny:

I know that might sound silly, but I have already tried a number of things to get my mind off of him, but nothing is working!

Here is a list of things to do:

Go to the gym.

Go buy new shoes.

Go shopping!

Read a book.

Go to the movies.

Go to the museum.

Go for a long walk around YourCity.

Etc...

Stay busy! You will be okay! You will get through this. Just know that the next few weeks will be hard. But you can do it. You don't want a guy who doesn't love you anyway! You will find the right man who DOES and it will be so great!

• 4 months later...