Men do you like to be called terms of endearment by women you are not interested in?

I noticed that in our group of friends, there is a guy Mike, and one of the girls, Abby, who clearly likes him, who hasn't known him that long, and who she isn't all that close with, has decided to refer to him by a pet name introduced to us by his close female friend Tamara. I have only observed the situation from afar, as I know Mike too and I am as good of friends with him, if not closer. I have never had the desire to call Mike by this pet name. Mike is clearly not interested in Abby in that way, and something about it just seems odd, even from an outside perspective. The reason I am curious though is because I have thought, "gee, I am friends with him too, should I be referring using that pet name too?" but I just can't bring myself to do it. Then again I am very shy. Is it normal what Abby is doing? It just comes across like she likes him. And I can't help but wonder if he appreciates being called that. especially by someone who is NOT his type. I think he just tolerates it. So surely I don't think he'd be thrilled if I started calling him this too, a second person he's not into. Not even the good friend, Tamara, regularly refers to him by that name regularly. She used it maybe once or twice jokingly but Abby ONLY refers to him as that. like a cutesy wootsy pet name.

I think because I consider that something reserved for a girlfriend boyfriend situation. And I would never call someone a pet name like that unless we were REALLY close friends or girlfriend and boyfriend. That's why i think it's acceptable for Tamara to use the name (they are close) but not Abby.

Anyways, guys - how would you feel if a girl you weren't into overheard your close friend call you a pet name and now the girl only refers to you by that name - in front of everybody, all the time?

Anyways, guys - how would you feel if a girl you weren't into overheard your close friend call you a pet name and now the girl only refers to you by that name - in front of everybody, all the time?

I would think anybody would be annoyed by that. The girl is trying to force an intimacy that doesn't exist.

About the only time I think pet names from non-interested parties work is when the waitress calls you "hon."

If he is ok with it, then no one else's opinion matters. I would just find opportunity to tease him about it lol.

I noticed that in our group of friends, there is a guy Mike, and one of the girls, Abby, who clearly likes him, who hasn't known him that long, and who she isn't all that close with, has decided to refer to him by a pet name introduced to us by his close female friend Tamara. I have only observed the situation from afar, as I know Mike too and I am as good of friends with him, if not closer. I have never had the desire to call Mike by this pet name. Mike is clearly not interested in Abby in that way, and something about it just seems odd, even from an outside perspective. The reason I am curious though is because I have thought, "gee, I am friends with him too, should I be referring using that pet name too?" but I just can't bring myself to do it. Then again I am very shy. Is it normal what Abby is doing? It just comes across like she likes him. And I can't help but wonder if he appreciates being called that. especially by someone who is NOT his type. I think he just tolerates it. So surely I don't think he'd be thrilled if I started calling him this too, a second person he's not into. Not even the good friend, Tamara, regularly refers to him by that name regularly. She used it maybe once or twice jokingly but Abby ONLY refers to him as that. like a cutesy wootsy pet name.

I think because I consider that something reserved for a girlfriend boyfriend situation. And I would never call someone a pet name like that unless we were REALLY close friends or girlfriend and boyfriend. That's why i think it's acceptable for Tamara to use the name (they are close) but not Abby.

Honestly, I think you are far too worried about someone else's issues, and this is an excuse to vent about it.

If you're good friends with Mike and feel that he needs to let Abby know he's not interested, then tell him. If not, don't worry about it.

• 3 weeks later...