mom doesn't except my man

Samantha16

my mother obviously doesn't like my boyfriend. We've been together for 3 years but have broken up a number of times. We recently got back together after yet another breakup (He's the dumper-I'm the dumpee), and I think my mother's had enough with him. I guess i don't really blame her, but I wish she wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable. She reeks of unexceptants.

I never talk to her about my boyfriend anymore. I don't think she even wants to hear his name. And I usually stay at his place on the weekends, so Sunday evening is an akward situation where my mother wont even really look at me or talk to me.

Then the other day an ex boyfriend started calling out of the blue. (He's been away at university). I hadn't talked to him yet but I really just wanted to ignore the rest of his calls. My father (who I DO talk to) said, "If he asks you if you want to go out some time, just say that you're involved with someone else." (I get very nervous in these types of situations. I don't like to hurt people.) But my mother decides to disagree and says, "No, if he asks you out you say, 'OK!!'." I gave her a look and she says, "Well, I've always liked HIM." (In other words: I don't like your current boyfriend, so go out with someone else.) I was insulted, but all I said was, "Well if you like him so much, YOU go out with him."

I just wish I could open up to my mother about my boyfriend, and talk about him freely, and have him come over to the house for crying out loud. He hasn't been there in months. I want things back to normal. I want to invite him for dinner or a movie. I just feel like this is coming between my mother and I. I know it sounds bad, but it even makes me wonder if this IS the guy for me, seeing as she doesn't except him. I want a companion who is loved by my family, and can be close with everyone. Will things eventually change? Has anyone had this experience and had it turn out for the better?