Screw the flu shot, I want the perpetually single shot!

konfuzd

First off, why do people treat being single like having an incurable disease?

I'm so sick and tired of the "why don't you have a boyfriend, what's wrong with you?" comments/ glares.....

So here's the deal... my work is having a Xmas party... we're going to a really fancy restaurant, and the company is footing the bill for a 5 star luxury hotel room to any staff who wants it.... now, everyone is constantly asking me if I'm taking them up on the offer, and if I'm bringing a guest.

I relocated about a year ago to take this job, and through the consumption of time by my work, buying a home and the overall adjustment, I haven't really met any friends, and the guys I've dated have all just pulled the typical, "I'm just going to string you along for a while, then stop calling without warning" bull$hit....

I was perfectly okay with being single, and focussing on myself until this came up.... I take everyone's comments really lighthearted, and crack a joke, tell them my standards are too high, or that I'm married to my job, and having a social life would feel like cheating... but it's really getting to me that the first opportunity I'll ever have to sleep in a luxury hotel, I'll either pass it up, or end up sleeping alone. (No chance of picking anyone up at the office party as I'm the ONLY unmarried person with the company...)

How do I get through this with my head held high? It's so hard right now....

Hey, wait a minute! Did you say the company is footing the bill? Wow, you gotta go, so, if you don`t go you will be sleeping alone anyway right? Have a good time and don`t get drunk and sleep with some a**hole.

If you don't go, you'll probably feel like crap too. So I don't think an either or situation will make it any better.

Got any relatives you could drag along? Female? Make 'em think your a lesbian. heh.

I think you're going to have to go in, head held high, find the people you are closest to/get along with best at work and stick near them. If anyone asks you where your date is, make up a different story for each person.

*He's currently working undercover for the FBI and couldn't attend.

*He was wounded while working special ops in Iraq and is recuperating.

*I called the dating service but they told me my account was overdrawn.

*My blowup doll sprung a leak.

Honestly, it's not that horrendous if you go in with the right attitude. Make it fun! Believe it will be fun! Enjoy it. There's a lot of negatives in bringing a "date". Always worrying if they're having fun. Are they uncomfortable being there? Is someone going to start giving him the 20?'s cause they're drunk? Do I leave early if he's hating it? What if I realize he's a social snob and hates everyone here?

I've gone to events like this, where a free room was provided. I didn't have a date, and once I retreated to the room, I took a hot bath. And enjoyed every second of it. No expectations, no worries, just relaxing.

Then again, I didn't have cable tv. And at the time I didn't live where there was a working shower. And I couldn't use the bathroom without one of the 6 neices and nephews barging in, so I thought it was heaven on earth that night. :)

First off, why do people treat being single like having an incurable disease?

I'm so sick and tired of the "why don't you have a boyfriend, what's wrong with you?" comments/ glares.....

"Old aunts would often come up to me at weddings, and poke me in the ribs and cackle, 'You're next.' They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals." -- Unknown

**WARNING**WARNING**LIGHTS' ADVICE AHEAD**WARNING**WARNING**

Disclaimer: The following technique is known to be effective. However, no information is available on the side effects to one's social life should it be put to use.

This is just my experience, but methods I found effective include just to politely get it across that it's not their business as best you can, or alternately, tell them that you will give them no information. I've never gotten a "So you're still all alone?" or "What, no other half?" since.

So here's the deal... my work is having a Xmas party... we're going to a really fancy restaurant, and the company is footing the bill for a 5 star luxury hotel room to any staff who wants it.... now, everyone is constantly asking me if I'm taking them up on the offer, and if I'm bringing a guest.

...but it's really getting to me that the first opportunity I'll ever have to sleep in a luxury hotel, I'll either pass it up, or end up sleeping alone. (No chance of picking anyone up at the office party as I'm the ONLY unmarried person with the company...)

How do I get through this with my head held high? It's so hard right now....

You're quite lucky. I've never heard of an office party which actually covers a luxury hotel room. Enjoy it.

Tell them to *piss off* as it is none of their concern and that they should be concentrating on their own lives instead of worrying about your *social status*.