College Girl(s)?

Henzer

So long story short. I'm now out of the military and starting up college. I am a full time student and just doing gen-eds to get me back into the school rhythm. The last class of the day is at 2pm and my seat is in the back of the classroom. I'm surrounded by girls in this class.

Anyhow, last week on Friday, the girl to my left kept looking/glancing over at me or in my direction. To verify, I looked to my right and there is no other guys on my right side. This was all noticed out of peripheral vision. I try to stay focused on what the professor is teaching. Then the girl mustered something to the girl in front of her which sounded like, "he is super cute," with a giggle. She proceeded to glance over several more times until class was over. I didn't think much of it until the next day.

Our teacher passes around an attendance sheet in which we all sign our names and I get the paper right after the the girl to my left (the one that keeps looking over) and caught on to what her name was. Monday we had a test and I was the 3rd person done, so I left early to go home. College is an hour drive. Wednesday rolled around and she glanced over at me a few times, so I gave her a few looks back, but nothing registered between us really. Class ended and I wanted to ask her to some coffee, but she got out of the classroom very quickly.

Upon getting home, I knew her name and typed her name into our email listing for college and sent her an email with something along the lines of, "I couldn't help but notice your name with the attendance sheet being passed around. Wanted to ask you to go for coffee, but you left in a hurry. Want to get coffee on Friday after class?"

So I guess I'm asking for what you guys think on how it was handled. How would you foreshadow this experience? I think by sending her an email, it gives her time to think about it.

Ideally you would have waited on asking her out until you could ask her out in person. There was no rush, dude ... Half the fun of college is scheming about how you "bump accidentally" into someone you're interested in.

And just because she's checking you out doesn't mean she is interested in dating you.There are lots of people I check out that I surely don't want to go out with on a date.

You're older right? Well older guys sending emails unannounced to younger women who they haven't even "met" ... can seem creepy ... And un-confident. Maybe she'll be fine with the email ... I guarantee she's talking up a storm with her girlfriends right now about how to respond.

Next time, lean over, make eye contact, say hello and introduce yourself. .. see how she responds ... and then go from there. Doesn't matter if this is "forced"--just that you do it. Doesn't have to be a perfect moment.

I would’ve asked her out in person even if I was a nervous wreck and even if my hands were doing the imitation of Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, why? Because e-mailing her out of the blue is the weaksauce.

Come on you’re the military guy don’t they teach you how to be brave in the military? She’s barely five something feet and 100+ pounds.

I think it will be OK. It shows initiative & you explained how you got her name. It didn't take too much investigative work.

Make sure you make eye contact at the next class & re-extend your offer to get coffee.

You did just fine. Just understand that college women (and men) are flakey as can be. They can be into you in one moment and literally into someone else ten minutes later. So don't get too invested and remember to have fun.

This is so weird lol

Why didn't you introduce yourself to her during class and talked a little; it's really not that hard and then ask her out.

Why this whole email thingy..

• Author

Thanks for the diverse opinions. I chickened out on Friday after class and was tired....its an hour drive to school and back home each day of school. I'll give it a go on Monday after class though.

Friday she still glanced a couple times, but I didn't receive an email back. Could be she never read her email yet or it could mean r.i.p. to the occasion lol. Oh well. I'll re-extend on Monday and debrief here after I get home.

The military didn't teach in the ways of sweeping women off their feet lol. Plus it's something that I keep private. Nobody needs to know unless they actually get to know me better. Maybe too modest...idk.

I didn't talk to her in class....because at the beginning of class someone else just said 2 words to another student and the professor told them to stay behind after class.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Henzer
  • Like 1
Thanks for the diverse opinions. I chickened out on Friday after class and was tired....its an hour drive to school and back home each day of school. I'll give it a go on Monday after class though.

What if I give you a million dollars to ask her out, you’d probably do it.

• Author
What if I give you a million dollars to ask her out, you’d probably do it.

You make an excellent point. Yeah the outcome of asking her out doesn't matter, it's just the matter of getting to that point. If it goes well, awesome, and if it doesn't go well, there are always more opportunities.