Maybe nothing serious, but I found my BF's snapchat account is a girl?

h0000

I recently started to use snapchat and found his snapchat account through my phone book. But the account has a girl's avatar and a girly username. He said he never used snapchat and doesn't have an account. But this is definitely his phone number that's linked to the account.

I dont know what Im trying to say here, he has a GF and Im the side chick? He is seeing someone else? I dont know. Seems unlikely. So this maybe nothing serious. But I also dont think technology is wrong.. well, any experienced snapchat users here? This is just a little weird.

Do you think he might get off on pretending to be a girl for some reason? Or maybe he set it up a long time ago as some sort of social experiment?

• Like 1
Mrs._December

There are two very plausible reasons for why he's masquerading as a female on SnapChat.

#1: Men do this all the time online in the hopes of chatting up girls. Over the years it's happened to me countless times - guys pretending to be women because women shut them down or ignore them and don't want to be bothered with them. So they pretend to be women so other women will befriend them and become chat buddies - until they eventually share their little 'secret' about their gender. They hope the woman will continue to be their 'friend' since they've been getting along so good. That's usually when they move in for the kill.

#2: It's highly likely he is/was involved with a woman who is already married or otherwise committed to someone else. By posing as a woman, he and said woman can chat away all day and her boyfriend/husband would be NONE the wiser because he thinks his wife is chatting with a female friend.

My money is on Number #2.

Your boyfriend's pants are on fire.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how Snapchat works. Can you see if it's still active?

How long has he had his phone number? Is it possible the account was created by someone else before he got the number?

You could straight up just ask him. I feel like it's an innocent thing to say, "Hey. I noticed there's an account linked to your phone number. Do you know about this? I'm just asking, because you said you don't have Snapchat."

I recently started to use snapchat and found his snapchat account through my phone book. But the account has a girl's avatar and a girly username. He said he never used snapchat and doesn't have an account. But this is definitely his phone number that's linked to the account.

I dont know what Im trying to say here, he has a GF and Im the side chick? He is seeing someone else? I dont know. Seems unlikely. So this maybe nothing serious. But I also dont think technology is wrong.. well, any experienced snapchat users here? This is just a little weird.

He's not cheating, but he sure lied to you....something to consider here.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm not sure how Snapchat works. Can you see if it's still active?

How long has he had his phone number? Is it possible the account was created by someone else before he got the number?

You could straight up just ask him. I feel like it's an innocent thing to say, "Hey. I noticed there's an account linked to your phone number. Do you know about this? I'm just asking, because you said you don't have Snapchat."

Yeah I did ask " hey can I add you on snapchat" he said he doesnt use it, dont have it. I said " no way I saw you. Look, isnt it you" and he looked, still said no and said " do you think I would call myself xxxx( insert the girly name)??".

He had this number for 2 months. Are you saying tele companies recycle numbers and it just happened that some girl was using this number and she happened to have snapchat and happened to cancel the number and now my BF got it...hmm, the odds!

....He had this number for 2 months. Are you saying tele companies recycle numbers and it just happened that some girl was using this number and she happened to have snapchat and happened to cancel the number and now my BF got it...hmm, the odds!
Well, yes, of course cell phone companies reuse numbers. I believe they typically wait 30 to 90 days to re-assign a number, depending on the company & region.

Also - your boyfriend has had his number for only 2 months? How serious do you think he has been about what ever weird snapchat communication thing? Serious enough to sign up with a fake avatar, fake name/gender and start snapchatting - during the past 2 months, while you two have been together? Sounds very elaborate and time-consuming to me; so if he's that dedicated I would think you would see other weird/secretive behavior than just this.

Seems more likely that his 2-month-old phone number used to belong to this random girl, and she is just still using her existing snapchat account. The area code and prefix would naturally be assigned to someone in the same general geographic area.

• Like 2
Mrs._December
He had this number for 2 months.

That would have been helpful to know in your initial post as I wouldn't have taken the time to type out my reply with possible scenarios explaining why he might have a SnapChat under a woman's name. I would have told you that of COURSE the phone company recycles phone numbers after 3-6 months. You think once someone uses a phone number it's sent to the dead number office never to be used again?

• Like 4