Why would a girl want to appear single online? especially on Social Media

depcharger

Recently a girl I liked broke up with the guy she was seeing

I have known her for 1.5 years but always felt that given our 14 year age difference That I am just too old for her (she's 20)

The guy was not seen in any of her almost daily selfie pictures on Instagram

but I noticed through her stories she started going to places too costly for her minimum wage job ( multiple concerts and 2 luxury vacations, she showed off the luxury accommodations)

on her 2nd most recent vacation a dude was shown this dude turned out to be the dude who took her to these trips ( And he's older than me when I read his Bio)

But why not make it public? why be secretive about it?

Girl #2

I know her ( age 22) in real life and we go to the same gym together. I say hi to her if I see her in person. I knew her boyfriend before I knew her and I have seen.

Out of her 400 pictures and weekly posted pictures she has just 1 picture of her standing with her boyfriend in her IG, nothing romantic and nothing other than the fact that they are standing together would suggest they are dating all other pictures are of her or her with her female friends

My theory

People who do not make it explicit known they are dating someone

want to appear as if they are single in case they want to upgrade, Just in case someone better comes along.

this way they can deny that they are dating the person in the picture and say that they are just friends.

My evidence

show near naked string bikini/lingerie shoots pictures yet have privacy issues so they don't show off relationships ( No effin way, i would never buy that excuse)

Your reasons are indeed reasons that women use to appear single. There's not any logic to it other than what you described.

Another reason I would add is the ego boost and dopamine hit you get from having multiple Instagram followers. It's a mild version of class A drugs.

If the woman is using men as a vehicle to get to flashy and fancy things you don't really want to go down that path anyway. I would leave her alone.

• Like 1
Versacehottie

I think those can be some of the reasons but not all. I know a good amount of girls who might appear single on Instagram but really aren't. They:

a) don't want to advertise or be public about their relationship

b) including maybe it's not the time (too soon or too shaky or falling apart) to do so

c) most importantly a lot of the girls i know that are not saying relationship stuff one way or another on IG are doing that bc they don't use their IG for that kind of purpose. It doesn't reflect their life as it is privately. It's more about sharing interests with other like-minded people (usually other women) or has a business component or they are trying to build it to be that (like a brand) thus their relationship is not a core element.

d) some people are just private

e) some people don't do everything in relation to showing who they are dating or who they can get from what they do on IG

So basically it doesn't always have to be a negative reason that they don't show it. It can be a neutral one.

• Like 1

My preference is to appear single online, but more so because I don't like my personal life being all over social media. My relationship is between me and my signifiant other, not between me and my 500 followers.

Completely different from my scenario, but based on the information you provided, I don't disagree with your theory based on the nature of the posts.

• Like 1
Out of her 400 pictures......
Why in the world would you think that someone who aspires to being an instagram model is not consciously choosing to pose and post the pictures she feels are most likely to attract new followers? Having a dude in the pictures will prevent most other dudes from following her.

I mean, why are you following these two much younger women on IG? Because you like seeing them be cute, which is what they are promoting to get more followers. Could hardly be more simple.

No one would pose for and post 400 pictures of themself unless they are seeking attention and followers. Many IG models get free clothes, food, trips, and some earn appreciable incomes based on how many followers they garner. It is all a digital magazine. It is not a casual, undirected project. The whole purpose is to get attention and followers. The purpose is not to keep in touch with you or any real friends personally.

Edited by Sunlight72
  • Like 2

It was years before I even put myself down as anything. My in laws and my husband filled my page with comments when I did put one down, it was pretty funny. I'm a private person, I don't post any real photos of family or my husband. Usually it's photos of just my legs stretched out with a beer in my hand on my back deck lol.

With my ex fiancée it took a while before I noticed she had pictures of herself all over the place, with friends, strangers, whatever, everyone but me. Someone tried to take a picture of the two of us and she almost ran away like she was in the witness protection program. On my birthday, my parents took a picture of me and her and she tried to get out of it and when I saw the picture she did not want to be in it.

I figured she did not want to be seen "with" me and later found out she was with her ex pretty much the whole time. If they do that, I'd say either they are embarrassed or want to look available for someone else and those are probably the only real reasons.

He could have told her don't put photos of me up. I've told people that. He could be married or anything. She could just be seeing him as one person she's seeing and multidating.

• Like 1

Sunlight has it right it is the "celebrity" Instagram culture. She won't get hundreds/thousands of horny and lovestruck male followers if she posts pics of her boyfriend, will she?

• Like 2