Ideas for cheap first dates

cameron95

I second walk in the park then. Pick a park with some dessert vendors, so you can buy ice cream or a drink while you walk.

A nice and long stroll gives you time to talk about things at leisure with too many distractions. Walking also helps you think better, so you will be able to absorb information and respond better. Finally, the dessert vendors on the side makes for a nice touch of refreshment. Not to mention, plenty of people find walking in the park to be romantic.

Walk in the park ... or walk through an interesting neighborhood ... or around a river or lake ... and if things go well, you can finish the night with visit to a cafe for dessert.

It helps to tell the person that I want to walk through this park because ... it's beautiful ... it's a popular place for this ... or that ...

During a park walk, there will be times to stop and observe kids or people with dogs ... moments you can vary the pace of the walking ... or event stop.

Yeah, maybe grab an ice cream cone and take a walk somewhere nice. That can be very fun and a good way to get to know one another.

CautiouslyOptimistic

There are a lot of Christmas Village type things this time of year. Do you celebrate Christmas? A stroll through one of those might be a good first date.

Have a few different ideas for your date to choose from. At least one outdoors, one indoors, and don't fix the location.

When I was online dating my favorite was when the guy told me "tell me where to go at what time, and I will come to you.". That was a good date.

A different guy wanted to walk in a park near him. I had to travel there, it was hot, crowded, my feet hurt and I was hungry. But my date was determined to walk in the park. Bad date. I never went out with him again.

You can suggest some cheap date ideas but leave the decision to the lady. It's safer for the woman to pick the location.

Gretchen makes a good point. If you’re doing something outdoors, you need to prepare her for that. But the idea of having her pick might be good too. Some women like for the guy to make the plans but either way should be good.

lavenderandvelvet

Well it is my inner nerd talking - but I think a great date is a museum. Depending on where you live it can get spendy. But there is a hack. For example my city’s museum annual membership is $65. And you can go whenever you want and bring a friend.

Why I love museum dates - you can talk about the exhibit, people watch, make a game of the gift shop or find a bench and sit down and chat. As a member you also get access to special events. Usually “free.” And you can bring a guest.

They change exhibits a few times a year and usually one exhibit is enough for a date.

Anyway my 2 cents. I definitely suggest the museum for my dates all the time. Or to hang out with friends. I am lucky, mine does a lot of really cool special events. But I am of the opinion almost any museum is a good museum. Art ones and culture ones I find easier for dates.

• Like 1
Why I love museum dates - you can talk about the exhibit, people watch, make a game of the gift shop or find a bench and sit down and chat. As a member you also get access to special events. Usually “free.” And you can bring a guest.

I remember a date I once had with a guy at a museum, one that turned me into a life-long art fanatic. He was from out of town and we had been dating for about a month. I had a membership to the museum and they were having a special evening for members only with a Georgia O'Keefe / Alfred Stieglitz display. It was called 'Two Lives' or something like that. I wore a gorgeous blue velvet dress and he was in a suit. It was an astounding night that I've never forgotten. He knew a lot about art and told me different things about O'Keefe and Stieglitz. That was about 25 years ago and I still have the book he bought for me. So fun. Even if it hadn't been a members only event, museums are so entertaining. That display, in particular, was really amazing.

Walking in the park is nice, but do NOT try to take her anywhere isolated because that would be too scary for her. And agreed whoever said you need to tell her to come prepared for a walk so she doesn't wear spiked heels.

Do you both have dogs? Dog park.

Go for smoothies, maybe. Though most of those places don't have a place to sit. Movie early matinee is cheap, but you won't get to talk much. Look in your local paper or google it and just look for street fairs and stuff like that, but beware because they are not all free. Like Germanfest -- $$. But art fairs, usually free. You can also ride your public train and get off at a city center in the suburbs if you have that and just walk around there. You can also invite her to a party if you are social.