He initiates texts first but then leaves me hanging

dancingintherain12

dancingintherain12

He will text me asking whats up, hows it going etc.

We chit chat for a little, then he'll eventually stop responding.

Its an annoying pattern IMO.

Sometimes he'll text the next day and just say he fell asleep and apologize.

But am I right to be ticked off?

I know texting to some of you may seem dumb, and it should only happen when you initiate dates but it'd be nice to hear from him and properly end the conversation.

• Author
dancingintherain12
Stop responding to his texts so you won't be annoyed since this is his pattern.

You mean stop responding to his texts all together or leave him hanging as well?

Just stop altogether. When he asks you what happened calmly tell him you don't like being left hanging in a conversation. He'll stop.

• Like 2

It sounds like he wants to text to check in, but not have the texts go on and on, and/or he may not know how to respond after a certain point. This isn't something I would make a big deal of or confront him about. Limit the texting and save the little details of what you want to share until you see each other.

• Like 1
It sounds like he wants to text to check in, but not have the texts go on and on, and/or he may not know how to respond after a certain point. This isn't something I would make a big deal of or confront him about. Limit the texting and save the little details of what you want to share until you see each other.

This ^

He's checking in and this is really thoughtful. Perhaps he'd rather save the long conversations for face to face?

• Like 1
  • Author
dancingintherain12

You're right.. but we only see each other once a week or so. We're kind of long distance (about an hour drive away) so i'd like to hear from him more. I read a lot of online forums and men don't like talking as much via text. But then I read forums where the guy is texting a girl everyday! He says his level of interest isn't determined by how often he sees or texts me. He also wants to take it slow. I dont disagree though, I want to take it slow also because I am not ready for a relationship atm.. but I am ready to build a connection if that makes sense, and its harder to when you only see them once a week

Texting is a poor method of communication but some like it more than others. As a general rule, I think the younger the person, the more they like text. I'm a woman and I'm old. I was keen on a guy, I'd pick up the phone to talk to him rather than have a torturous conversation over text.

How about talking on the phone one or two nights per week as well as seeing each other when you can?

• Like 1
  • Author
dancingintherain12
Texting is a poor method of communication but some like it more than others. As a general rule, I think the younger the person, the more they like text. I'm a woman and I'm old. I was keen on a guy, I'd pick up the phone to talk to him rather than have a torturous conversation over text.

How about talking on the phone one or two nights per week as well as seeing each other when you can?

we are young 22 and 25.. i love talking over the phone so much more. maybe next time he texts ill tell him to call lol. or next time in person i'll tell him i love calling so much better and it'd be nice to hear your voice when i dont see you.

• Like 1
we are young 22 and 25.. i love talking over the phone so much more. maybe next time he texts ill tell him to call lol. or next time in person i'll tell him i love calling so much better and it'd be nice to hear your voice when i dont see you.

I like the idea of telling him that you love talking on the phone better than texting. But instead of saying it would be nice to hear your voice, ask which night works best for him and figure out who's calling who.

It's so much easier to get your needs met if you're proactive.

You're right.. but we only see each other once a week or so. We're kind of long distance (about an hour drive away) so i'd like to hear from him more.

Sounds familiar. Did that with the lady who became my wife. Back then it was e-mail or IM. Neither of us had cell phones until the late 90's and those didn't have text anyway. We'd talk or e-mail/IM one or two nights a week then get together on the weekend.

I read a lot of online forums and men don't like talking as much via text. But then I read forums where the guy is texting a girl everyday! He says his level of interest isn't determined by how often he sees or texts me.
Yup, depends on the man. Think of it as communication style compatibility. What you see now is what you'll get.
He also wants to take it slow. I don't disagree though, I want to take it slow also because I am not ready for a relationship atm.. but I am ready to build a connection if that makes sense, and its harder to when you only see them once a week
Cool, then no need to be joined at the hip via text. Keep it casual, meet up as you can, enjoy the dates. Whatever comes after that, comes.

He is not that into you. Not yet at least. He is behaving just like a guy who isn't ready for a relationship. He isn't taking this seriously and he talks to you when he feels like it. When he doesn't feel like texting anymore, he stops replying and gets back to you later. The answer is really quite simple. The older generation won't understand this because one of their major forms of communication is not texting.

You feel ignored because he is not taking you seriously. You can tell him you prefer calls but the fact that he is not that into you will manifest in another way. You can stick it out and and "go with flow" if you want. Maybe as time goes on, feelings will grow. Maybe not.

You are looking for a relationship but you two just started dating i am assuming so of course you are not ready to make it official yet. You want to build a connection first. I believe the man on the other hand means something else when he says "i am not ready for a relationship".

Edited by LoverOfDance

To me, it doesn't seem like he's really all that interested. When someone is into you.. the actually make an effort to talk to you.

I've done this to people countless times. Not to be mean or rude... I would open the text and read it, get distracted by something else, and just forget to reply most of the time.