Dating an (ex) alcoholic?

KissMyTiara

KissMyTiara

Does anyone have any experience with dating an (ex)alcoholic [i know once you're an alcoholic, you're always an alcoholic]? My best friend just recently started dating a guy who has been clean for about 5 years, and swears he will never touch another sip. She's a pretty social person, likes cocktail parties and a glass of wine with dinner. I'm trying to convince her that she should date someone who doesn't have a problem with liquor - should I be doing that, or do y'all think it's ok?

Considering he's been sober for 5 years, that is saying something in his favor. I don't think you should be pushing your friend not to date him. He could end up being the best thing to enter her life, for all you know.

As far as her drinking habits clashing with him being a sober alcoholic, that's up to them to solve between each other. Again, not really where you have any place to push any buttons.

Bottom line is, I see where you're coming from but I don't think you should try and convince her of anything and I think you should give the guy a chance before you put too many ideas into your friend's head.