A guy asked me if I want go out for a drink sometime

banana90

There's this guy that works in a little store in town which is run by his family, and my family has known them for a long time, they live a few houses away from us. A few months ago everytime I went into the store he would look at me every now and then and sometimes he'd talk to me. He added me on facebook but we'd never talked. On Christmas eve me and my family went out for a meal, and shortly after we'd arrived him and his family showed up. So my brothers and I went over to say hi because they'd brought their dog and my little brother's wouldn't go over unless I was with them. My little brothers disappeared and then my mom came over and we were all talking. And the guy started talking to me, I think it was probably the first time that we've ever really talked. And I have anxiety so that was incredibly difficult for me because I find it really hard to talk to people, in fact I avoid it if possible. Anway, last night he messaged me on facebook and he said that it was nice talking to me the other night, and he asked how am I and if I'd had a good Christmas and stuff like that. This morning he messaged me asking if I would like to go for a drink sometime. but I don't know what to do. I'm 19, I've never been in a relationship, I don't talk to anyone. I stopped going to school when I was 14 because of depression and anxiety, I was home schooled for a little while, when I was 16 I had to have an emergency operation and I was really ill, and that caused a bunch of other problems. I ended up having a hip replacement this year. I literally don't talk to anybody. And I can't work at the minute.

I don't know whether or not I should go. I was going to talk to my mom about it, but she will probably say that he's not good enough for me, or she doesn't like him. What do you guys think that I should do?

GorillaTheater

I'd love to see you muster up the wherewithall to go out on a date with this guy.

Put your anxiety issues on the table (briefly) from the get-go. It'll take some pressure off of you, and if he happens to be the right guy for you, he'll be cool with it.

And congrats. :)

• Like 4
There's this guy that works in a little store in town which is run by his family, and my family has known them for a long time, they live a few houses away from us. A few months ago everytime I went into the store he would look at me every now and then and sometimes he'd talk to me. He added me on facebook but we'd never talked. On Christmas eve me and my family went out for a meal, and shortly after we'd arrived him and his family showed up. So my brothers and I went over to say hi because they'd brought their dog and my little brother's wouldn't go over unless I was with them. My little brothers disappeared and then my mom came over and we were all talking. And the guy started talking to me, I think it was probably the first time that we've ever really talked. And I have anxiety so that was incredibly difficult for me because I find it really hard to talk to people, in fact I avoid it if possible. Anway, last night he messaged me on facebook and he said that it was nice talking to me the other night, and he asked how am I and if I'd had a good Christmas and stuff like that. This morning he messaged me asking if I would like to go for a drink sometime. but I don't know what to do. I'm 19, I've never been in a relationship, I don't talk to anyone. I stopped going to school when I was 14 because of depression and anxiety, I was home schooled for a little while, when I was 16 I had to have an emergency operation and I was really ill, and that caused a bunch of other problems. I ended up having a hip replacement this year. I literally don't talk to anybody. And I can't work at the minute.

I don't know whether or not I should go. I was going to talk to my mom about it, but she will probably say that he's not good enough for me, or she doesn't like him. What do you guys think that I should do?

I've never been in a relationship, -- First of all, take the pressure off yourself :) He didn't ask you for a relationship, he asked you to go out for a drink.

I have anxiety so that was incredibly difficult for me because I find it really hard to talk to people -- Apparently you were able to talk with him well enough to spark interest :) You have nothing to lose by going out and trying to enjoy an evening out with someone new. Try to relax. It's good practice :)

• Like 2

You are just going out for a drink, not to get married. You have no obligation to date him. You are 19, you are a big girl now, I'm sure you can handle a couple of hours talking to this nice gentleman.

acrosstheuniverse

Go for it. You're young, you can't afford to let all areas of your life be so severely affected by the depression and anxiety, this is a good opportunity to put yourself out there and simply see how it goes.

Are you having therapy for the anxiety and depression? That's an awfully long time to be away from education or work, I hope that help is available in your area.

Relax, we all get nervous and I bet even he is. Just be yourself and try not to over think every little detail. You've been asked out, so be happy and just see where it goes. There is no pressure, no expectations on either of you. Enjoy it.

Go out but tell him to take you for an ice cream sundae or banana split. It appears you may have not done much alcohol and do not need to start drinking on a first date.