! I fear my dating life is doomed...

Wayward_wanderer

Wayward_wanderer

Hey all,

Yes, that may be a bit of a dramatic topic title, but I'm feeling that I'm in some serious need of help with dating and relationships. I'll be quite blunt, in that the past several years have been awful for me on that front - I haven't even been on a date (let alone anything else) in over a year, and thinking about it terrifies me.

Admittedly, I tend to be on the shy side, and I know that likely isn't helping matters. I'm a male in my late 20's, and have somewhat pushed aside the pressures of dating for a while (i.e - distracted myself from my lack of success), to go back to school/work on my musical project material. It has led to a rather isolated lifestyle for me, so I've tried the whole OLD thing, but I'm convinced it's mostly useless (too many guys, not enough women). Too much work for too little results - a poor return on time invested.

But OLD almost seems to be turning into the new "normal" way of dating for people my age and younger. And I feel that as a guy, I'm 100% screwed (and not in an enjoyable way) if I don't learn how to try and meet women the old fashioned way - in person, spontaneously (since OLD is useless). I used to have some success this way, but it was mainly from using alcohol as a social lubricant at parties, during my partying days (sadly, it seemed to work...)

These days, I don't do a lot of partying, and try to live more responsibly (I work full time and am doing well w/school, have my own place to live w/o roommates, etc), but I feel like my social/dating life has suffered. And I feel that a dwindling social life will only make dating harder...:/

What's a guy like me supposed to do? I feel that my only chance is to somehow find the courage to talk to strangers, and hope for the best, but...really, what should I do? How should I go about meeting women, without coming off the wrong way? Where should I go to do it? Truthfully, I'd love to find a LTR, but I'm putting minimal hope on it, and I'll take what I can get...

Edited by Wayward_wanderer