Asking out a girl at work (maybe not technically 'at work')

ripitup

Need a bit of advice as I'm terrible at this dating lark.

I started a new job about three weeks ago and around 4:30pm each day there is a girl who does the cleaning in the building, she's probably around the same age as myself at a guess (I'm 24) and she's pretty attractive. I noticed her making eye contact on a few occasions and looking away when I looked back, so the signs sort of indicate there's some interest there I guess.

The office is pretty quiet at that time of day as people are heading home and such and the cleaning girl just goes around and does her thing, I didn't really want to try and speak to her at my desk with other people around as I'll admit my self-confidence/esteem isn't great in these situations as everyone would be able to hear me potentially make a big fool of myself.

Anyway, I managed to catch her as I was heading out of the building to go home today and so took the opportunity to introduce myself and just had a couple of minutes of small talk and she seems cool. One thing I did think about after the fact is that the exchange was basically me asking her a bunch of questions and her answering, she didn't really ask me anything bar maybe one question, it seemed like a bit of a one-sided exchange in hindsight and it ended on a bit of an awkward silence due to this, like she was waiting for me to ask something else but my mind ended up blanking so I just took that opportunity to say bye and head out. Is this something to worry about?

But where do I go from here in regards to asking her out? Do I just go for it the next time I get a chance to speak to her or do I have to put in more time speaking to her and getting to know her first? It's a situation where I do alternate shifts anyway so would probably only see her every other week and that would be fleetingly as she nips into our office to clean, so I guess in terms of awkwardness (if it's a rejection), it's fairly minimal as far as workplaces go.

Any advice on this situation?

• Author
Don't dip your pen in company ink.

She doesn't work for the company I work for, she's an external cleaner who comes in at the end of the working day, which is why my own and most other peoples interaction with her is sparing. Like, she doesn't come in and have chats with people and stuff, she just does her job really, and I'm usually due home within the ten to fifteen minute window that I could see her there and any awkwardness if it doesn't pan out is pretty limited, as limited as you can get in a work situation like this I guess.