Does age matter??

brandon

I'm 18, but in my second year at university (skipped a few yrs), and the girl I'm pursuing is turning 21 next month, but also in my year.

At first, she didn't even know I was younger, but at one point or another it came up...and she calims that she never woulda realized i was younger...

I guess my question is, does age matter? Do I have a chance in hell?

Gingerspice03

I had a 22 year old boyfriend at 15, and we stayed together til I was 18. I also had a 18 year old boyfriend when I was 20. He was just a little immature for me. I married someone 3 years older than me and he was just a little to dependent. The current love of my life is 2 months younger than I am and well beyond his years. I think it depends on the person and their maturity. If your a man, it doesn't matter how many years of experience you have, believe me. I will say it is unusual for a women to date a younger man since statistically men supposdly mature slower but I believe in this day age there's all sorts. And the only reason I bring that up is you might keep it in mind for her sake. But if she really like's you she won't care. Age isn't really an issue any more, Look at Michael Douglas.

At first, she didn't even know I was younger, but at one point or another it came up...and she calims that she never woulda realized i was younger...

That's a good start! On paper though a three year age difference seems really minuscule.

Really it comes to "stages" on life. If she is soon to graduate and start working for instance, while you are still living the "free and easy" college lifestyle there may be some difficulties there. It seems like you are both at the same stage of your studies though.

Otherwise, based on what you have said I can't really any major hinderances to a relationship here.

Age is nothing but a number and a very poor guage of maturity. I dated a woman 5 years older than me who was less mature than my soon to be fiance who is nearly 7 years younger than me. It's all about personality. So yes you have a chance. But as masked_man said there could be problems depending on what stage the two of you are in. But all it takes is some work and sacrifice... heh, all it takes is love.

• Author

i think we're very much on the same maturity level, and since we're in the same year, we're pretty much in the same "life position" and we're going to graduate at approximately the same time. (long as we dont fail too many classes!)

although we do have very different personalities (opposites attract i suppose), i think we're still looking for the same thing...

i just get confused about wahts going on with her sometimes, and the age thing is the only thing i can think of...

besides asking her straight up, how else would i find out?

I will say it is unusual for a women to date a younger man since statistically men supposdly mature slower

Ahh yes. I love that statistic. Such a load of self serving hooey it is but thats a whole other debate.

As others have said, 3 years isn't a big deal (well unless she wants to go bar hopping and you can't/don't want to get a fake id ;)) and it all depends on the individuals and what stage of life they are in.

Nonetheless,

I do think that, over time, these sorts of age differences can really take a toll.

Hey, I was a believer in the possibilities myself for a fair while. Now, I'm not so convinced at all.

Until people reach, perhaps 25, I think their minds are changing so fast that, a relationship with an older mate can quickly "come and go" as a good thing. Mix that in with the shifting cohort differences, and you've got a recipe for difficulties to come.

Just my opinion.

Curt