Am I being taken for a ride?

Coast94

I've had a crush on this girl for a while but recently we've become closer. She's quite a shy person; difficult to read and, if I'm honest, hasn't had much experience of the dating scene... Still, I like her and she's hinted that she felt the same by liking all my social media pictures, sending me a paragraph-long message for my birthday and acting quite flirty towards me when we've hung out with friends. Small things, but good signs nonetheless!

Anyway, it felt like time to make a move so we met for coffee and the two of us had a great time. She mentioned how excited she was to meet up and even checked on the day to ensure I was still interested. We talked for hours and she was very open (surprisingly so). The conversation was easy; she spoke at length about her family, childhood, ambitions, work..., asked me lots of questions and even laughed at my lame jokes (always a positive!). We shared lots of interests. I eventually asked her out for dinner next weekend and she seemed surprised but open to the idea if that makes sense? I told her that I'd be in touch.

This is where it gets a little complicated... I told her during coffee that I was on holiday soon (from August 17th) but it turns out that I got my dates wrong and don't actually go until the end of the month. Anyhow, I later thanked her for coming and hoped she could make our dinner date. She replied saying it was nice to see me but couldn't do Saturday. She continued - 'there will always be the future', 'have a lovely holiday and I guess we'll speak soon' - or something to that effect, and appeared genuinely disappointed.

How should I perceive this? It didn't come over like a brush off as she's not discounting future dates? Was she simply implying that we go for dinner after my holiday? I also know for a fact that she has lots going on in her life right now. At this point, I'm considering telling her that I messed up my schedule and we should go out before I leave. Would this be a good idea?

Advice/clarity would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Phone the girl up and ask her out again.

Tell her you got your dates muddled up and would she like to go out.

Her response will be your answer.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If she said "'there will always be the future'"............she`s opening up the possibilty to seeing you again in the future.

It was your window of opportunity to counter offer and give her dates you are available.

Michelle ma Belle

I'm sorry but I'm confused about the timeline; when did you originally set the second date for?

• Author
If she said "'there will always be the future'"............she`s opening up the possibilty to seeing you again in the future.

It was your window of opportunity to counter offer and give her dates you are available.

My thoughts exactly. Why would she say this if there was no interest? Surely just end it there and then? I've actually just messaged her back with potential dates.

• Author
I'm sorry but I'm confused about the timeline; when did you originally set the second date for?

We went for coffee the weekend just gone and the second date was originally set for this coming Saturday.

Michelle ma Belle
We went for coffee the weekend just gone and the second date was originally set for this coming Saturday.

Okay. I would agree that she was probably setting you up for a counter offer.

Regardless of anything I'm with Toodaloo that this might be the time to pick up the phone and CALL rather than try and sort this out over text.

Texting has it merits but when it comes to new relationships I think phone calls are the better way to go. Text messaging tends to breed a lot of misinterpretation and misunderstanding if you're not careful.

Good luck.

RebelWithoutACause
At this point, I'm considering telling her that I messed up my schedule and we should go out before I leave. Would this be a good idea?

You should do that.

Don't leave it too long in between dates, you don't want to lose momentum.