I'm really crushing on this family friend (again...)?

MightyHeracross

MightyHeracross

I'm going to keep details and specifics to a minimum because I would like to hear a more broad spectrum of suggestions...

Anyways, I'm 20 and she's 18. I've known her for the better part of 10 years, but I don't know her as anything more than a family friend. I haven't talked to her (or seen her) in about a year, but I'm not really sure why not... I kind of get shy whenever I think of texting her so I just don't end up doing it. Our social circles and lives don't really cross- with the exception of being family friends and going to the same high school (although we are a few years apart, so even then we didn't cross too much). I've hung out with her a few times, but have never mentioned anything about me liking her. However, I'm sure she has an idea that I've been crushing on her just by the way I act in general around people I like (like mr nice guy).

We've texted a ton before (kind of a lot, actually), but she seems uninterested with me over text, which is completely opposite to how she seems in person. I tend to over think things (maybe I'm doing that here), but thats why I feel shy about texting her which leads to us not talking or seeing eachother. I'd love to ask her out, but it seems like my problem just gets compounded... I don't see her unless our families do something together, so to talk to her, I need to text her. I can't ask her to meet in person to ask her out without first asking her over text, so it just feels like a big, never ending circle!

I've posted on here before about this girl (probably a few years ago), and had tried to forget about her, and actually did for a while. But now, something, and I don't know what, is drawing me towards her again.

What do you guys think I should do?

LivingWaterPlease

Call her and talk with her with the idea of asking her out.

Sounds as if she clearly would rather talk in person or at least on the phone than to spend time texting.

I've posted on here before about this girl (probably a few years ago), and had tried to forget about her, and actually did for a while. But now, something, and I don't know what, is drawing me towards her again.

Years? Wow, you really need to just ask her out and get it over with.

That way, you will know if your feelings are reciprocated or not, and you can move on, worst case.

Don't go telling her you love her or anything, you don't want to come across as a crazy stalker or something. Just ask her out.

• Author
MightyHeracross
Call her and talk with her with the idea of asking her out.

Sounds as if she clearly would rather talk in person or at least on the phone than to spend time texting.

I mean, the only time I've been able to be with her alone, is when I ask her when our families our together to go see a movie or something. I'd love to call her up but we haven't spoken in about a year. I feel like just randomly calling her up to see her, even if it's just hanging out, would be too out of the ordinary. Honestly, the only thing I can think of is waiting until my family sees hers again, but that just feels like it's too long.

• Author
MightyHeracross
Years? Wow, you really need to just ask her out and get it over with.

That way, you will know if your feelings are reciprocated or not, and you can move on, worst case.

Don't go telling her you love her or anything, you don't want to come across as a crazy stalker or something. Just ask her out.

Like I said above, I'd love to ask her out, but I haven't spoken to her in a year so I feel like it would be awkward and too out of the blue.

• Author
MightyHeracross

So I haven't heard from anyone on here in a while, but I was still curious. I really think I've ****ed this one up. She's probably the only girl I've really liked and gotten close to, but I never wanted to screw anything up, so I just sat back and tried to forget about her. When we were in person, she probably dropped a dozen hints that she did like me but I was so confused by how she acted over the phone and such that I didn't want to take that jump. Now, I think I've gone too long without talking to her that I feel awkward just randomly starting communication again. I originally stopped talking to her to try and get out of the friend zone (which I'm not even sure exists or if I was even in it), but then I just stayed out of contact with her to try and forget about her.

I really like her, guys, but I just don't know what to do. I don't want to come off as pushy or awkward (starting a conversation for the first time in a whole might come off as weird), but I also don't want to let her go.

• Author
MightyHeracross

Bump anyone?

I'm sorry if I am being impatient, but I'd really like some help here...

amaysngrace

Find out what kind of music she likes and take her to a concert.

• Author
MightyHeracross
Find out what kind of music she likes and take her to a concert.

Haha, I actually already did! I took her a few years ago, but it never evolved into anything. It was probably my fault... I didn't lean in for a kiss, I didn't hold her hand, I didn't put my arm around her or anything; I just didn't try to make anything more of it than what was there. I bought tickets, took her there, and back home. That was it. I should've Madeira out of it but I didn't.

amaysngrace
Haha, I actually already did! I took her a few years ago, but it never evolved into anything. It was probably my fault... I didn't lean in for a kiss, I didn't hold her hand, I didn't put my arm around her or anything; I just didn't try to make anything more of it than what was there. I bought tickets, took her there, and back home. That was it. I should've Madeira out of it but I didn't.

If you don't get pumped up energy from being at a concert then nothing is going to help you out there buddy.

Sorry to say.

• Author
MightyHeracross
If you don't get pumped up energy from being at a concert then nothing is going to help you out there buddy.

Sorry to say.

Lol I got really pumped up being there, but I was too nervous around her to really get into it. I was too nervous to do any of the things I listed earlier. I did get pumped up though!

• Like 1
TunaInTheBrine
I'm going to keep details and specifics to a minimum because I would like to hear a more broad spectrum of suggestions...

Anyways, I'm 20 and she's 18. I've known her for the better part of 10 years, but I don't know her as anything more than a family friend. I haven't talked to her (or seen her) in about a year, but I'm not really sure why not... I kind of get shy whenever I think of texting her so I just don't end up doing it. Our social circles and lives don't really cross- with the exception of being family friends and going to the same high school (although we are a few years apart, so even then we didn't cross too much). I've hung out with her a few times, but have never mentioned anything about me liking her. However, I'm sure she has an idea that I've been crushing on her just by the way I act in general around people I like (like mr nice guy).

We've texted a ton before (kind of a lot, actually), but she seems uninterested with me over text, which is completely opposite to how she seems in person. I tend to over think things (maybe I'm doing that here), but thats why I feel shy about texting her which leads to us not talking or seeing eachother. I'd love to ask her out, but it seems like my problem just gets compounded... I don't see her unless our families do something together, so to talk to her, I need to text her. I can't ask her to meet in person to ask her out without first asking her over text, so it just feels like a big, never ending circle!

What do you guys think I should do?

She is younger and less experienced. You're both probably nervous/awkward with texting and such.

My advice is to call her and tell her you've noticed her more lately and to join you for ice cream next Sunday at _______. You could also just go knock on her door and do it in person. If she says no, just be chill and say "that's alright, you're still invited anyway" with a smile, and leave it at that. The key is to make the energy feel light, especially since she's an anxious type. If you get her out, keep this up. Keep it light, fun, and playful.

Good luck.

• Like 1
amaysngrace
Lol I got really pumped up being there, but I was too nervous around her to really get into it. I was too nervous to do any of the things I listed earlier. I did get pumped up though!

You need to just go for it. Don't let fear hold you back because you already don't have her so you have nothing to lose.

Right now you're setting yourself up to have major regrets. She could meet someone tomorrow.

Don't wait!

• Author
MightyHeracross
She is younger and less experienced. You're both probably nervous/awkward with texting and such.

My advice is to call her and tell her you've noticed her more lately and to join you for ice cream next Sunday at _______. You could also just go knock on her door and do it in person. If she says no, just be chill and say "that's alright, you're still invited anyway" with a smile, and leave it at that. The key is to make the energy feel light, especially since she's an anxious type. If you get her out, keep this up. Keep it light, fun, and playful.

Good luck.

I love the advice, but don't you think it's too out there? I mean, I haven't talked to her in a year. Is that being too pushy or no?

And, even though she is younger, she is certainly more experienced and sociable than I. She has been with far more guys than I have been with girls. She goes out with friends and such most nights, while I don't always. I'm not saying that I don't like that about her in the least, but it's wrong to think she is less experienced just because she is younger... It's quite the opposite, actually.

• Author
MightyHeracross
You need to just go for it. Don't let fear hold you back because you already don't have her so you have nothing to lose.

Right now you're setting yourself up to have major regrets. She could meet someone tomorrow.

Don't wait!

First, I just wanted to say that I freaking love your profile pic-- I had a dog that looked just like the one in your pic and he loved tennis balls too!!

Anyways, what exactly do you mean by just go for it? It's not like I'm taking her to another concert tomorrow, or even seeing her anytime soon.