Would you date someone with a really bad car?

Gaeta

I am not talking about just being an old car, I am talking about a car that is covered in rust holes and you can hear coming from a mile away.

I met this man over coffee and when he got there I had a shock when he drove in this old car eaten all over by rust holes. He has been insisting on seeing me again but .......

Edited by Gaeta

Better than no car right?

The question is do you like the guy in question? If you don't like him enough to see past the fact that he doesn't drive a lamborghini then forget it...

• Like 3
  • Author
whats that got to do with who HE is as a person. Material things don't matter

Don't men take pride in what they ride? Doesn't that say he's completely broke to be driving this? At 49 yo do I want to be picked up at home in such a car?

• Like 2
  • Author
Better than no car right?

The question is do you like the guy in question? If you don't like him enough to see past the fact that he doesn't drive a lamborghini then forget it...

I insist, this is not about him not having a fancy car, my last boyfriend drove a 2001 pick up truck but it was clean.

Don't men take pride in what they ride? Doesn't that say he's completely broke to be driving this? At 49 yo do I want to be picked up at home in such a car?

What car do YOU drive?

• Like 1

I used to, I drive a clean 4x4 now that I use for business. I get what your saying about an awful car at that age. The bigger question is about his financial status, isn't it? How do you feel about dating a poor man?

Once again, wealth isn't about who somebody is

• Like 2

He may also be a secret millionaire, who left all his Bentleys at home and showed up to your date in an old beater, just gauge your reaction.

Hope he's not on this forum... :laugh:

• Like 7
It's not about the type of car he drives, it's about the rust.

usually its about trust lol. Fair point though, do you drive a nice car?

• Like 1
  • Author
I used to, I drive a clean 4x4 now that I use for business. I get what your saying about an awful car at that age. The bigger question is about his financial status, isn't it? How do you feel about dating a poor man?

Once again, wealth isn't about who somebody is

I dated plenty of poor men. They drove old cars but they kept them clean.

• Author
usually its about trust lol. Fair point though, do you drive a nice car?

My car is in excellent condition, body and mechanic.

My `Motor` is spotless. Mr Sheen and Turtlewax, plus a good Chamois is always useful.

Drop a few hints if it bothers you?

I dated plenty of poor men. They drove old cars but they kept them clean.
My car is in excellent condition, body and mechanic.

Well then insist you drive during your dates... a car is basically a tool so as long as it works it really shouldn't matter about rust etc. Most people like to show off their cars as a symbol of wealth and power, which is great but it's superficial. It is really just a tool to get you from A to B. Nothing more.

If on the other hand it was full of garbage and smelt like there was a corpse in the trunk then I'd see your point.

• Like 5
I am not talking about just being an old car, I am talking about a car that is covered in rust holes and you can hear coming from a mile away.

I met this man over coffee and when he got there I had a shock when he drove in this old car eaten all over by rust holes. He has been insisting on seeing me again but .......

Yeah I get it. It's about pride in his appearance, isn't it. Especially as he is 49, not a kid...

I've been listening to the women in the office that have affluent boyfriends who expect expensive gifts. I've never dated a man that had an expensive taste - though some did have a nice car - but a middle aged guy driving a rusty, clapped out banger?.... Have to say not sure about that.

• Like 1
Ninjainpajamas

While men aren't as picky as what they drive as women, and in a world of just men we'd all probably drive pieces of crap and ram them into each other all day right out of a madmax movie, but in the real world where status is important and women are present I think it makes sense not have a car with rusted holes in it to say the least...especially in the United States where it doesn't cost a fortune to buy some half-decent looking car as used cars are everywhere (although you do need to make sure you won't spend thousands repairing them).

You need decent transportation to take women out, it's not appropriate to pull up in a pick-up, with a confederate flag hanging off the antenna and jump out in some blue coveralls with grease stains because you've been mickey mousing your vehicle into running condition...which you work on every weekend, and then expect her to see beyond that and love you for your personality, it just shows a low social and dating aptitude.

So sorry guys even though that's an exaggeration depending on where you live you, you will need a decent date ride.

The other question is, if this is what his car looks like....what does he underwear look like? maybe those have holes too!

I would next this guy, at least if he tries to stalk you, you'll hear him a couple blocks away as his car rattles and shacks billowing black smoke out of the back long before he reaches you.

• Like 2

Gaeta,

From my dating experiences many years ago I came to the conclusion that if a guy can't take care of his car then he can't take care of anything else.

If he can't be bothered to maintain his car (ie; it belches smoke, rattles, looks and stinks like a dustbin/garbage can inside) then he isn't mature enough to take responsibility for anything else.

In UK there are rules about exhaust emissions and having an MOT certificate to say that the car is roadworthy. I presume there is something similar in USA?

In my experience if the car is a mess then where they live will be a mess as well. Who wants to get involved with a messy child?

My own car is 10 years old but it is roadworthy and clean.

This guy sounds like a loser, give him a wide berth.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

So sorry guys even though that's an exaggeration depending on where you live you, you will need a decent date ride.

I would next this guy, at least if he tries to stalk you, you'll hear him a couple blocks away as his car rattles and shacks billowing black smoke out of the back long before he reaches you.

Funny how social etiquette works... and needing a nice car to get with women is quite an expensive piece of etiquette.

I'd argue that unfortunately a lot of social etiquette that a man has to display to women involves having a fat wallet.

Anyway I wouldn't 'next' this guy completely if there's a chance he might be a decent guy... up to you though. Amazing how quickly people write other people off.

• Like 3
  • Author
Funny how social etiquette works... and needing a nice car to get with women is quite an expensive piece of etiquette.

I'd argue that unfortunately a lot of social etiquette that a man has to display to women involves having a fat wallet.

Anyway I wouldn't 'next' this guy completely if there's a chance he might be a decent guy... up to you though. Amazing how quickly people write other people off.

You are taking this out of proportion. He does not need to have a fat wallet. You can buy a decent car, in good condition, with no rust for 2K. My brother just sold is Ford-150 1993 for $1,000, it runs well and NO rust!! There is no reason what so ever for a 39 year man, holding a full time job, no children to support, to be driving a piece of junk falling apart.

• Like 2
I am 49

He is 39

My 17 year old nephew drives a better car.

Hah even 39 is old enough, I don't know how I would feel and I'm 42. Probably slightly undignified yes. Passed the 'slumming it' stage in life in my early 30s.

• Like 1
  • Author
Gaeta,

From my dating experiences many years ago I came to the conclusion that if a guy can't take care of his car then he can't take care of anything else.

If he can't be bothered to maintain his car (ie; it belches smoke, rattles, looks and stinks like a dustbin/garbage can inside) then he isn't mature enough to take responsibility for anything else.

In UK there are rules about exhaust emissions and having an MOT certificate to say that the car is roadworthy. I presume there is something similar in USA?

In my experience if the car is a mess then where they live will be a mess as well. Who wants to get involved with a messy child?

My own car is 10 years old but it is roadworthy and clean.

This guy sounds like a loser, give him a wide berth.:rolleyes:

We have the same thing in Canada. It's just a matter of time before he gets pulled over.

I agree with you it has to be indicative of something else in his personality.

• Like 1
It's not about the type of car he drives, it's about the rust.

The Captain of the Titanic is a proud man.