Travelling together

icedlatte

Hi! Any advice on travelling with s/o or someone you're currently dating?

I've been spending time with this guy for several months now that we've became good friends and decided to give dating a try. Yet it's still complicated as to what to label what we are. Mostly it's me who's hesitating to date or be in a relationship because I think too much. Anyways, for spring break, he invited me to visit his family and to sightsee his hometown by the beach. I still haven't given a response yet but I'm thinking about it. I'm a bit nervous because I don't know what his expectations are.

Edited by icedlatte

I am in the same situation. I was nervous and hesitant, but now I feel fine. I think if you get along, it should be a good experience and you both can see if you would get along outside a date environment. Try to enjoy yourself and do not overthink. It may be a big step in your relationship with this man. Good luck to us. :)

pickflicker

I've been spending time with this guy for several months now that we've became good friends and decided to give dating a try. Yet it's still complicated as to what to label what we are. Mostly it's me who's hesitating to date or be in a relationship because I think too much. Anyways, for spring break, he invited me to visit his family and to sightsee his hometown by the beach. I still haven't given a response yet but I'm thinking about it. I'm a bit nervous because I don't know what his expectations are.

If you're not interested, then don't go on the trip. Only go if you are keen on him. If you're keen on him, what have you got to lose? It's an excellent challenge for the relationship, to see how it goes...

• Like 1
pickflicker
Long car trips. Over 4 hours are DEATH. Stay away from that until you guys are married

You're joking, right? If you can't spend 4 hours in a car with someone you're dating, the last thing you should do is marry them...

• Like 6

4 hours in a car with the one i love. Music. Singing, stopping off for funny toilet breaks. Eating huge amounts of junk food. Perfect.

You're joking, right? If you can't spend 4 hours in a car with someone you're dating, the last thing you should do is marry them...
  • Like 7
Long car trips. Over 4 hours are DEATH. Stay away from that until you guys are married

I would last even 10 hours with the girl I love. Hell when I was with my girl we traveled a lot, and sometimes we spent more than 7 hours in the car. Good times :X

Op only go with this guy if you really like him, because meeting his parents is a big deal.

• Like 3
pickflicker
4 hours in a car with the one i love. Music. Singing, stopping off for funny toilet breaks. Eating huge amounts of junk food. Perfect.

See, that's a road trip! Why would you save that for marriage? Oh, the insanity...

• Like 2

I was just going to say this! I like being in the car with my gf.......well I like being in the car with my gf when I'm driving - when she's driving the very real chance of certain death detracts from the enjoyment - but that's besides the point!

You should do stuff like this now, if you can't sit in a car with him and enjoy it now then you never will be able to - surely its better to find that out sooner than later!

I'd go for it, its win win for you - you find out your great together or you find out your not - either way you find out a really important gem of info!

I drove up to London the other week - it was sunny, the car was hot, my gf kept flicking the indicator on when her phone said it was time to turn rather than just telling me decided just to irritate me (c'mon now, how annoying Is that!!), we had two 4 month old babies in the back seat - there never content at the same time, my gf brought loads of food but apparently I was supposed to bring drink but because my telepathic powers are sadly lacking, I didn't, this was not discovered until we passed the service station right when we hit the back of a huge M25 traffic jam. It was also discovered eating becomes hard when you run out of saliva.

But it comes down to the fact that there's no one else in the world I'd rather be stuck in that hell with, rocking out to the radio, her creating these crazy stories about the lives of the people in the cars next to us, and us resorting to drinking baby formula out of a spare bottle :sick::love:

These are things you don't find out about your relationship until you do them!

• Like 3
pickflicker
I was just going to say this! I like being in the car with my gf.......well I like being in the car with my gf when I'm driving - when she's driving the very real chance of certain death detracts from the enjoyment - but that's besides the point!

You should do stuff like this now, if you can't sit in a car with him and enjoy it now then you never will be able to - surely its better to find that out sooner than later!

I'd go for it, its win win for you - you find out your great together or you find out your not - either way you find out a really important gem of info!

I drove up to London the other week - it was sunny, the car was hot, my gf kept flicking the indicator on when her phone said it was time to turn rather than just telling me decided just to irritate me (c'mon now, how annoying Is that!!), we had two 4 month old babies in the back seat - there never content at the same time, my gf brought loads of food but apparently I was supposed to bring drink but because my telepathic powers are sadly lacking, I didn't, this was not discovered until we passed the service station right when we hit the back of a huge M25 traffic jam. It was also discovered eating becomes hard when you run out of saliva.

But it comes down to the fact that there's no one else in the world I'd rather be stuck in that hell with, rocking out to the radio, her creating these crazy stories about the lives of the people in the cars next to us, and us resorting to drinking baby formula out of a spare bottle :sick::love:

These are things you don't find out about your relationship until you do them!

Awesome story. Baby formula? Blechh! :sick::laugh:

• Like 2
Awesome story. Baby formula? Blechh! :sick::laugh:

I know!!!! - tastes like how I imagine eating a tin of dog food would...tin and all!! :sick: Can't believe the little fellas drink it up!! :laugh:

pickflicker
I know!!!! - tastes like how I imagine eating a tin of dog food would...tin and all!! :sick: Can't believe the little fellas drink it up!! :laugh:

I think I'd go thirsty, myself!

• Like 1

Traveling with him without a label -- fine. Go; have a good time but if you are not already intimate, discuss the sleeping arrangements before you agree to go.

Going home with him to meet his FAMILY -- hell no! That raises all sorts of expectations & puts you squarely in GF territory. If that is not where you want to be, do not go home with this guy.

Not true. It's a perfect time to learn about your new partner. A month into dating my fiancee, we took a car-trip to Las Vegas. It's about 4.5 hours from Los Angeles. We talked the whole trip going and coming back. It was so much fun. We stopped in the middle for burgers, and kept driving. If you can't be in the car with your SO for a few hours, then you can't possibly be compatible.

• Like 1

I went on a "long" road trip to Quebec City + Montreal from NYC within about 4.5months of meeting her.

I kind of initiated it, actually. Before going further with this woman, I wanted to make sure that I can still feel the same about her when we're together completely, for an extended period of time. If I "don't grow tired" of her, or anything of the sort.

It was a great trip. We loved it, and I loved her company. She made an epic playlist, too. One with foresight, a theme, and whatever. It was wonderful.

We got much closer after that trip. I think our relationship blossomed.

And actually, we just got back from a week long Jamaica getaway earlier this week. This brought us even closer.

So yah, I think trips are a great "test." But in your case, meeting the family on this trip, that's a toughy. I would be very careful...