In work and out - he's so different!

Schizo123

Ok - I know I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, I really do.

But it still makes me feel like crap. I've been going out with this guy for just about a month now, we're brand new :love: and he treats me like an absolute princess. We've been friends for a couple of years now, so we're comfortable with each other as well as having the new butterflies - it's pretty much perfect at the moment. When we're out, I can't take a single step without him taking my hand or putting his arm round me...he's so affectionate and I LOVE it, especially after being treated like crap by my ex. That's OUTSIDE work.

We've worked together for two years, in a place that (like most workplaces I guess) thrives on gossip. We both hate people talking about us, and staring at us...but I'm the kind of person who says, who cares...let them talk, even though I hate it. Well he's slightly different...we still talk quite a lot at work but it's completely different, he'll maybe wink at me when noone's paying attention to us but that's about it. At first I felt like crap because I thought he was embarrassed but I really do know that it's not the case. I know he likes me - I just can't get my head around how different he is at work!!!

I guess I'm not really looking for advice, because I know that I'm being silly...but has anyone else been in this situation?? I'm just behaving the exact same back, and last night at work when I didn't talk much and busied myself with other stuff - he wouldn't leave me alone!!

I think it's just that after my last relationship, I'm so happy that I've found a fantastic guy that I just get scared that it means he's going to change his mind... :( Argh I KNOW my post seems pathetic...because the fact that he treats me brilliantly OUTSIDE work is the main thing, and I shouldn't be complaining because I have a wonderful new guy who's also a close friend - it just makes me feel uneasy, how different he acts. I know it's just to keep private but STILL!!

I agree with BlueChocolate...though my b/f and I don't work together, even if I call him while he is at work, he's very professional (which I first mistook as him being curt) but outside of work he's very affectionate...I think this is just how a lot of men are :D

Yes, he's being discreet and tasteful in not pawing you all over while you're both supposed to be working. That kind of behavior makes you both look cheap and tacky. You can still talk and smile at each other...? You're very lucky! Save the kisses and feel-ups and hand holdies for a private place (and I didn't mean the supply closet!)

red-rose-in-winter

I know exactly where you are coming from, except I am in your boyfriend's shoes. I met my husband at work and when we started dating, I tried to keep everything "low-key" when we were in the workplace. People would watch us like a hawk when we would sit together in the breakroom, and it got rather annoying. People do like to talk about anybody ~ especially about a couple that are dating. After work we would sit in my car and JUST TALK, but some people started a rumor that we were doing more than just talking.

Also, some of the female co-workers would try to flirt with my boyfriend at work just to see my reaction and to get a rise out of me. :mad:

My advice to you is not to take it personally that your boyfriend acts differently at work than he does outside of work. As a matter of fact, a lot of people (including me) act differently at work than I do at home.