Is this girl playing games with me?

JonnyMadness

JonnyMadness

First off, sorry for the length and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this. I’ve been reading and researching the psychology of “playing hard to get”, and search engines keep pointing me here and I find this a very fun and honest board. Here’s my story:

I’m 29 and work in a professional government office. There are always temps and students who come and go frequently, and recently a girl showed up who I was instantly attracted to. She seemed to be around 25 or so. I starting talking to her and we had some similar interests. One day she mentioned that her friends’ band was playing and said I should pop in and check them out. I said I had plans, but they fell through so I went but she wasn’t there. In the office, we chatted a lot and sometimes as we passed in the hall, we would just smile at each other and say nothing. I don’t know what she was feeling, but I was feeling all warm inside, lol.

So, I asked her to a premier screening of a little 1 minute film that I made and she seemed very flattered and she said she was going to see some local bands the very next day, and invited me along. So, we went to my screening and talked for 2 hours afterward and we both had a very nice, honest, and open chat. During this chat, I found out she was 20 years old, which is kind of young but there was no turning back because I like her a lot.

he next night I showed up with my friends at the bar, she was there but didn’t seem to have much time for me. I was thinking “OK, I’m here with my friends, she’s with hers, I don’t know if I should hang around her or if she’s thinking she should hang with me, or this, or that” – I just didn’t know what to do. Anyway, she left soon after and took the time to come over and talk to me and say sorry for leaving so soon, which I thought was cool of her.

Still full of smiles at work, and she said about our little film premier “I only had 2 drinks early in the evening, but for some reason I just had a good feeling the whole time.” Ladies, is that not a good sign or am I reading too much into it? At this point, I’m dying for her phone number, but I’m a very shy person, and her work term was ending soon so I had to step it up. I mentioned that we should “do it again sometime” and she said “There’s no question. We WILL do it again sometime. DEFINITELY.” That was great.

On her last day, I was going to ask her for her number, but she gave it to me before I could. This is where things go wrong. She left work and I don’t see her anymore. I called her a few times and she was always “busy”. We finally went for coffee once in the last month, and she mentioned she was dating a younger guy (trying to make me jealous?). Since then, she’s been giving me excuses, saying she’ll call, and doesn’t – just giving me the run around. I stopped trying to call her, I gave up completely, thinking I was getting a hint, but what happens a week later?

She calls, saying she wants to go for coffee, but when I call her she’s busy, or she’s not there. I leave messages, she never calls back. Now, I’m not calling every day or anything, so I’m not being too sticky. I know this is not a new issue, it’s as old as time itself, lol! But, is she “playing hard to get” or does she not like me?

I’m really too mature to be involved in these games, but I really like this girl. Plus, I know that people act aloof in order to verify that the other person truly likes them, and is willing to work for them. But, a month has passed and we’ve seen each other once. I’m not the kind of guy who chases women, so I’m fully prepared to leave it be and if I never talk to her again, so be it. But, I would like to at least maintain a friendship with this girl.

OK, let’s discuss this issue and see what we can’t learn, lol!

JonnyMadness

bluechocolate

Leave it be. Like you said, you're too old to be playing games, if it is even a game. I would think that if she was at all serious about liking you she would make herself available and return your calls, even if she was playing hard to get.