Ask a girl out through LinkedIn?

natwilliams

I met a girl at a networking event. She asked me for my card later but I was kinda awkward about it and didn't get her's. I could connect with her through linkedin if I really wanted and ask if she wants to get coffee. She lives in the same part of the city as me. Would it be okay to do this within a week of meeting her?

• Author

Oh yeah the funny thing is when she asked me for my info, she said "a friend of mine would be really interested in your project". What does that mean?? False disqualifier or real disqualifier?

Not sure if LinkedIn is the best medium for asking her out... It's supposed to be a more "professional" environment.

That said, if that is your only way to contact her, and you don't mind potentially burning the bridge, then it might be worth a shot.

Absolutely, go for it. LinkedIn doesn't have the FB stalker stigma attached, and I've often thought of doing the same thing. Would put social context somewhere in your contact so the non business intent is clear. "Would you be interested in grabbing a drink socially? May I call you?" and then you will have your answer. Linked In is like FB for productive people, so there's a much better prospective dating pool. When I start dating again, definitely going to add LinkedIn into the social mix. Now one thing I wouldn't do is try to mine your contacts contacts for dates, at least not ostensibly, but business contacting where there is a legit business reason otherwise could certainly lead to more. Good luck.

• Author

Desein, thanks for the support. I agree it doesn't have the awkwardness of Facebook. I agree too that I have to make it sound like a pretty clear "date" otherwise it'll get weird with the whole quasi-date thing. I'm over that.