Boyfriend now taking on parenting responsibility for ex-wife

imjustagirl

My boyfriend just emailed me a little bit ago. Said his ex-wife is going to be put in a mental institution for an unspecified amount of time (due to suicide and just plain crazy tendencies).

This is fine...actually good. Now she'll quit harassing either one of us.

Potential problem....her daugher she had during an infedilty during their marriage is now going to be living with my boyfriend. Things have been rocky between us anyway....and I'm not sure how to react.

I'm glad, he loves this little girl so much (I have yet to meet her). But he has told me time and time again that he wants nothing to do with this girl as she is apart of his past and she is not his....now this email saying that she is going to be living with him.

I'm just really concerned. Things are going to change....a lot....plus he's in school full time working full time....so the time I did have with him was minimal....now this. The little girl is coming as soon as Friday, if not sooner.

HELP!!!

~justa~

It's a painful situation, but the plain truth is that this little girl needs your boyfriend a lot more than you do, right now. Either you pitch in and help, or accept the fact that you will be seeing almost nothing of this overcommitted fella.

Frankly, I would be thrilled to see that I'm with such a high character of man that he would take over the responsibility of a little girl who is not his own when she needs someone.

For one minute, just stop thinking about yourself and think about this little girl. Her mother has been carted off, and your boyfriend is likely the only father she's ever known. She deserves his time now.