Question about online dating and give ur number

OCCDAVE

I'm going back and fourth with some girl I messaged from some dating site.I read posts saying if you send to Many they will lose interest .I figured after 10 I should try my luck and sent this

hey so you into any sports .I was also wondering we should continue our convo texting cause I'm not on this site much

Her reply

I'm into football and soccer not really another other sport.texting sounds cool but I don't think I know you to well

How do I reply to this

How long have you been speaking to her? I generally go something similar to what you said but I go.

<Insert whatever we were talking about here.>

"Would you be interested in moving our conversation to texts/phone, my number is xxxxxxxx, whats yours?"

Most of the times girls give me their number I have had a few give me the "lets get to know each other line as well".

Which I see as a brush off and/or

A) They have a boyfriend, they don't want knowing they are looking for guys online.

B) Full of **** and have been lying through their teeth and don't want to be exposed.

So I generally move on at that point because by the time I ask for a number we have usually exchanged several long messages and I have a good enough idea of who they are.

• Author

To be honest like 2 days lol,I dont know how to reply cause i just took the chance to ask and sorta got a no unless i reply like this.

I know you don't know me well that's why i figured texting be alot better so my number is xxxxxxx cant wait to chat :)

Eh I dunno dude

curlygirl40

Hmmmm. This could go either way. If you want to keep communicating with her and she's responding, just keep going via e-mail.

She might just be extra cautious about giving out her number, but if she's still messaging you on the site, then she still has some interest I would think.

I usually go to the phone call and/or texting after about 4 or 5 messages back and forth if I feel like I have a good grasp of a person and feel comfortable.

It makes me nervous if someone asks for my phone number right out of the gate (I've had guys ask in the very first message to me), but I'm also not looking for a pen pal here so after a few messages I want to move things along.

Best of luck

2 days hrrm... honestly probably think you are coming on a bit to keen, might of scared her off. Either continue talking to her and ask her again maybe next week (if shes still interested) or move on.

curlygirl40

I know you don't know me well that's why i figured texting be alot better so my number is xxxxxxx cant wait to chat :)

Eh I dunno dude

Something I'm not sure if everyone else experiences, but I find once it moves to texting I don't get to know the person any better at first. In messages on the site you can really go into detail about yourself, ask questions about the other person, and wait for their well thought out response. I find once it moves to texting it's just back and forth banter 'how is your day?' kind of stuff. I feel like I get to know the person better in the beginning messages.

Once you exchange numbers, if you're only texting and not having phone conversations it seems like the 'getting to really know you' part stalls until you meet in person.

Maybe it's just me.

It's only been 2 days so I would keep going via messages and see how it goes

Something I'm not sure if everyone else experiences, but I find once it moves to texting I don't get to know the person any better at first. In messages on the site you can really go into detail about yourself, ask questions about the other person, and wait for their well thought out response. I find once it moves to texting it's just back and forth banter 'how is your day?' kind of stuff. I feel like I get to know the person better in the beginning messages.

Once you exchange numbers, if you're only texting and not having phone conversations it seems like the 'getting to really know you' part stalls until you meet in person.

Maybe it's just me.

It's only been 2 days so I would keep going via messages and see how it goes

I only ask for a girls number when I'm about to ask them out ;). Its more of a test to see if they are actually interested. If they give me there number well I know they are somewhat interested or at least comfortable with me.

That been said I will only do that after we have spoken somewhat at length on the dating site (usually about a week). Because as you said the texts usually are pretty short and the getting to know you thing dies off a bit until we meet in person.

• Author

I see I'll continue chatting through the site try again maybe a week if it last that long.guess I jumped the gun a bit to quick

Dude - get a gmail account. It works great. When I'm interested in a guy, I ask if he has gmail. Then I invite him to chat. If that goes well, you can talk through gmail and not have to give out your number. It's a safety thing for girls.

And, no, this isn't an ad for gmail.