Clueless nerd

Scot

OK, I'm really just venting my frustration at my own awkwardness. Here I am, 36, a PhD, great & secure job, and I'm utterly inept when it comes to dating.

Last night, third date with a woman (no, not in my life - I mean third date with the *same* woman. :p) and the poor thing freezes her tail off while I work up the courage to kiss her. Finally, after a hug, I blurted out 'actually I'm hanging around because I wanted to kiss you, what do you think?'. She took pity on me. Maybe because that was the quickest way for her to get out of the cold??? :o

Hopefully, having a science background herself, she's not totally unaware of 'paralysis by analysis', etc. A few more years of this and I'll qualify as the topic of my own comic movie.

So seriously, she must be interested (or really bored) or she wouldn't have agreed to a third date. To me (in my vast experience), that is sort of the threshold of becoming less casual. (I'm not thinking sex, it'll be a couple years before I work up my courage.) Am I off base? I don't want to freak her out by being too clingy or too serious too soon.

Ruby Slippers

Just go with the flow and set a positive tone. Mistakes will be made. That's life. Don't worry about it. Have fun!

I've been building my confidence lately, and it is just amazing how people respond to it. They treat me like a smarty, a hottie, the life of the party (which I am, haha). Now I'm wondering why I ever wasted time and energy doubting myself.