Ever spent significant money with someone you're not interested in?

alex1960

I've recently posted about my personal situation but let's ignore it for a moment.

My question is quite straightforward. Have you ever spent significant personal money (not silly company expenses) wining and dining someone you're not interested in?

I've recently posted about my personal situation but let's ignore it for a moment.

My question is quite straightforward. Have you ever spent significant personal money (not silly company expenses) wining and dining someone you're not interested in?

This is like asking, "Did you ever buy something expensive that you didnt want?"

• Author
Nope. We go dutch. Equality is a bitch isnt it.

But even if you split the bill, you could still end up paying a large sum for spending money with an unattractive girl. Would you do that?

But even if you split the bill, you could still end up paying a large sum for spending money with an unattractive girl. Would you do that?

If you enjoyed the meal, entertainment and company . . . . is it such a burden to have enjoyed those things with an unattractive friend?

I think what you really need is to talk to your wife.

Enchanted Girl

Wining and dining? No.

Buying $600 plane tickets and expensive presents and saving several hundreds of dollars so we can have money to do stuff in person together? Yes.

No. Not unless they were one of my customers.

As a woman I would only pay/assist with a bill if I liked him. Male friends count in this too. I'd gladly share- for a friend. But that's pretty rare really.

I'd spend $300 only if they are a good customer (which I'd expense or claim on my taxes) or someone I was flirty with. It'd have to be a well known relationship though before I paid. Or a big bill, then I'd share. I think they shared the bill

So you know my background Alex1960: I'm 40, educated, no kids, business executive.

Is she telling you now, "but he is not even cute! I'm not even attracted to him!"

I'd call BS on that.

Are you here in the U.S.? Just curious.

I can't remember your age range either. That helps.

LucreziaBorgia

No. Why would anyone do that?

Hint: they wouldn't, and I hope you can come to accept this.

• Author
Is she telling you now, "but he is not even cute! I'm not even attracted to him!"

I'd call BS on that.

Are you here in the U.S.? Just curious.

I can't remember your age range either. That helps.

Yes we're in Vermont. I'm in my forties, educated, executive. I also travel quite a bit for business.

SadandConfusedWA

Yes.

I had a guy spend tons of money on me recently on multiple dates. Expensive restaraunts, Franch champagne, opera tickets etc etc.

Turns out, his interest in me was always pretty low.

Have I ever spent money on somebody I'm not interested in? Nope. What's the point if you're not interested in them?

Have I spent money on somebody that I was interested in? Nope. I've always gone dutch. Spending money on somebody does not guarantee that they will sleep with you, or even like you.

I really don't know why one would spend money on somebody they aren't interested in, unless it's a good friend or business thing.

A friend of mine went out with a gal once and when the waitress/waiter came around and asked if they wanted a tab he said yes please, tabs (plural) and made sure waitress/waiter would understand that. He had nothing more than plutonic interest in her.

She would drink away as happy as can be and order Johnny walker blue and the likes. For whatever reason though I guess she was under the impression that he would take care of it. Why? Who knows, that can be a whole new topic I suppose.

His bill was about 34 bucks

Her bill was about 150 bucks. (yeah Johnny Walker is expensive)

The waitress/waiter brought out the separate tabs to be paid and she seemed shocked. She excused herself to the restroom and turns out she tried to bail out on the bill.

My friend paid his obligation and left for the evening. She on the other hand, was still standing at the door with security.

Not romantically interested? Yes.

I have lent and given friends money plenty of times. I've done mostly well in my life, so if my friends were struggling or I wanted to treat them to something, I did it. I don't tend to give male friends money or things because the men I know would tend to get offended by it though. I lent a fellow I've been friends with for years about a thousand dollars this year, when he needed it, but he paid me back.

I spend lots of money on gifts for friends and family when its appropriate to give gifts. I bought a pair of good friends of mine (a couple) plane tickets to come visit me in Asia this year. What's the point of having money if you don't use it? I'd say almost all the money I've spent extravagantly was either for gifts or vacations, though. I like to live frugally in general.

Feelin Frisky

Yeah. She was a gold-digging c-word who proved to be not worth it nor worthy of it.

Not romantically interested? Yes.

I have lent and given friends money plenty of times. I've done mostly well in my life, so if my friends were struggling or I wanted to treat them to something, I did it. I don't tend to give male friends money or things because the men I know would tend to get offended by it though. I lent a fellow I've been friends with for years about a thousand dollars this year, when he needed it, but he paid me back.

I spend lots of money on gifts for friends and family when its appropriate to give gifts. I bought a pair of good friends of mine (a couple) plane tickets to come visit me in Asia this year. What's the point of having money if you don't use it? I'd say almost all the money I've spent extravagantly was either for gifts or vacations, though. I like to live frugally in general.

I missed the "Wining and dining" aspect, I guess. In that case? I've never wined and dined anyone. . . I don't think girls do this. And honestly, I'm not a big fan when men do.

I've spent over $500 over 3 dates or so with a girl I had little interest in. Not "no interest" but I definitely didn't feel the spark I needed.

Why? I'm not rich, but decently well off. I still had a good time with her. She was pleasant enough company and we hit a couple of amusement parks, dinners, etc.

skydiveaddict

Yes and I still dont know why I did it. Stupidity or weakness of character I suppose. I even took her to Cabo for a week and didn't even really like her that much.

SpanksTheMonkey
A friend of mine went out with a gal once and when the waitress/waiter came around and asked if they wanted a tab he said yes please, tabs (plural) and made sure waitress/waiter would understand that. He had nothing more than plutonic interest in her.

She would drink away as happy as can be and order Johnny walker blue and the likes. For whatever reason though I guess she was under the impression that he would take care of it. Why? Who knows, that can be a whole new topic I suppose.

His bill was about 34 bucks

Her bill was about 150 bucks. (yeah Johnny Walker is expensive)

The waitress/waiter brought out the separate tabs to be paid and she seemed shocked. She excused herself to the restroom and turns out she tried to bail out on the bill.

My friend paid his obligation and left for the evening. She on the other hand, was still standing at the door with security.

Thats crazy I wonder if she ever made it home...lol

Ok - sounds like the majority of answers here is in fact : No.

I just went out and spent $100 bucks cash on myself + bought a new shirt at Brooks Brothers in Naples, Fl because I was angry my ex contacted me to give me a guilt trip for leaving him.

All cash. No guilt later for being mad.

Thats crazy I wonder if she ever made it home...lol

I asked him the same thing hehe. He said he had no idea, he was done after that and she never called him. Damnit!

Maybe the rich guys or those that can afford expensive will do things like that?

I know a guy (can't really call him a friend) who has a g/f of 8 months or so that he really doesn't care for, yet he just spent a few grand on a cruise with her.

So yeah if a guy has money to waste he might waste it on something he doesn't care about.

But personally i met a girl online who wasn't really what i expected irl, when dinner came i paid up but had no intentions of pursuing anything.

I wasn't going to bother with splitting the bill (she didn't offer) because i figured it was a lesson learned, don't date girls online.

Edited by robdrm32
No. Why would anyone do that?

Hint: they wouldn't, and I hope you can come to accept this.

I guess I'm the weirdo, but yes, I have done this. Aside from work-related stuff (potential clients, potential investors, blah blah) and the obvious, family/in-laws, I have splurged on taking many friends of either sex out to dinner. Purely platonic friends. I take people I'm not sexually interested in out and buy them dinner and wine all the time, in celebratory fashion or as a send-off or what-have-you. Last year I took out my girlfriend for her birthday. A few months ago I took out a friend who just had a nasty breakup and needed cheering up. Just last week I took a good friend of many years out to a kinda pricey dinner and split two bottles of wine, because he's moving to another country and it will be at least a year before I see him again...when hopefully my husband and kids and I will be visiting him in his new digs.

The question wasn't, do you take people out and spend money buying them dinner and wine if you don't like them as people. Obviously I don't take people I hate out for dinner.