Buying a ring...

I will have been going out with my girlfriend 6 months on Friday. She is organising some kind of special night for us (she is keeping it a surprise), and I want to get a really nice gift for her. I was looking around several jewellery shops today and saw a really nice white gold ring which I think she would really like. It has two little diamonds in it, and looks absolutely beautiful. I've seen a few other necklaces which are nice, but they don't compare to this ring - it is perfect! :love:

However, searching around the net just now almost all pages about rings involve engagement or marriage. This got me thinking... does buying a ring have to mean you are getting engaged? Will she think I am going to 'pop the question' if I present her with a ring on Friday? I love her very much, but marriage is a long, long way off as far as I am concerned, and I don't want her to get the wrong end of the stick, which could possibly damage our relationship.

So I guess what I am asking is, does buying a ring have to mean engagement, or is it fine as just a simple gift to your loved one? Your thoughts would be appreciated... :)

-Bob.

Oh, Your so Sweet!! I don't think it means engagement tell her you saw this ring and it reminded you of her or It's a symbol of your love or something of that line. When I was in School my boy friend gave me a promise ring and said he promised he would always love me.

No! Of course it doesn't mean engagment! It's just a nice gift. (It doesn't look like an engagment ring, does it?)

Anyhow, I am sure she will love it:)