What does "no labels" mean?

Gypsy_Soul

I've heard this recently many times, usually from younger people in their early 20's that when dating they prefer, 'no labels'. What exactly does this mean?

Do they go on into a relationships without knowing exactly where they stand ever?

It just seems so player like to me.

123BeachFan

Good question, GG. I've heard the same thing from my unlabeled man (won't call him my BF)....he agreed that we're exclusive, but went on to say he prefers no labels. He's in his mid 40's.

Personally I think it's a way to call something casual without making it sound too FWB.

I've heard this recently many times, usually from younger people in their early 20's that when dating they prefer, 'no labels'. What exactly does this mean?

Do they go on into a relationships without knowing exactly where they stand ever?

It just seems so player like to me.

I think, generally, no labels means not being exclusive or that one or both people are commitment-phobic.

I think that ^^^ answer has something to do with it, but at the same time - I'm all for commitment and being monogamous. I really am. I'm an early 20-something though, and labels bother the hell out of me.

Why for me personally? It's not because I don't want to commit so much as... I just feel like I'm way to young to get married. Now I realize just because someone is my "boyfriend" doesn't mean I'm going to wind up with the guy, but I mean - I can fall in love with someone and be seriously emotionally invested in someone without having ever called them a "boyfriend", so why is a title necessary? It just seems to carry some sort of implication that were dating, we're serious, were going somewhere. But at my age and with where I am in my life, I just can't see myself dating the same person for another 6-however many years I'm around for. I guess if I don't give it a chance, I'll never know, but still...

Does that make me a commitmentphobe? Hahahaha I guess maybe. Like I said though, I have no problem being monogamous with a guy.

Maybe it has more to do with me just afraid of getting hurt in the long term, or hurting the other person. Its not that I don't want to commit, its just that I don't want to live under the expectation that our relationship is going anywhere super serious at this time.