Suddenly feeling single again... but no breakup!?

yasmina1706

Hey all,

Something very strange has happened to me... I don't really know how to explain it, and if it means I should break up with my boyfriend?

I have been with him for 2 years, since I was 18, and am a uni student. I am now in my 3rd year and have been very stressed about careers, graduate applications, etc, but a strange thing has happened to me in the past couple of days. I have suddenly been catapulted back to how I felt before I was with my boyfriend. It is like spring shining after a long winter. I feel scared and alone but also independent, full of hope, the maker of my own destiny. I feel like a girl going on a big adventure. I also feel lonely.

Why could this be? I haven't been going through a particularly bad patch with my boyfriend, we have just spent a couple of weeks apart, but before that we lived together for a couple of weeks on holiday and I really enjoyed it. Now though I suddenly feel like a light has been switched on - I am 'me', I have got myself back! I feel like I was lost before and not a separate individual but somehow inextricably linked to him. Now I feel like I am just an individual and what he says or does doesn't matter to my destiny at all - it is my choice and making. I know this might sound strange, but I didn't feel this way before.

Don't get me wrong, he is not controlling or clingy at all and has never told me what to do. Why am I feeling like this? Is it a sign that I should break up with him? I am feeling so much happier and more excited than I have felt in a long time... but why?? It has just come out of the blue! In my mind, I am back to being 18, with the world at my feet, good grades and a good future, rather than a stressed out 20 year old super-worried about securing a career in law - now I feel like everything is possible again!

Sorry to ramble on. Has this happened to anyone before? Any ideas about what is going on with me? It is so strange!

• Author

Also, more detail about my boyfriend: he is very opinionated and can be classist and racist. I am quite open-minded and that side of him pains me very much. Sometimes when I am around others, I am constantly stressed that he will say something revealing his prejudices, and they will be shocked :( I am tired of being on edge, I just want to be ME again, and not conform to anyone else's opinions!!