Good looking people have good looking friends?

SadandConfusedWA

SadandConfusedWA

Looking through my friend's facebook pictures I have noticed how my better looking friends tend to hang out with better looking people. While average or below friends generally hang out with people of similar level of looks.

Did anyone else observe this?

and.then.some

I've actually noticed more good looking people with average looking people. However, I think it's safe to say what people consider "average" varies. I don't know any buddy clicks in which all or most of the people are what I would consider to be above average.

I have noticed that below average people seem to group together more often than above average. Only once have I dated a guy only to find out that his friend was twice as hot as he was. In my experiences, the friends just don't match up.

• Author
SadandConfusedWA

OK, more like average to above average hang out together.

Below average to average hang out together.

It's rare to see a stunner with an obese friend.

Yes I would say that this is generally true. People with similar good looks tend to gravitate towards each other and I suppose vice versa also

Awesome Username

It's the same reason why people who have a lot of money also hang out with people who have a lot of money as well: you know you're on the same page and your friends are less likely to secretly resent you.

and.then.some
OK, more like average to above average hang out together.

Below average to average hang out together.

It's rare to see a stunner with an obese friend.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I don't very often see guys who are hot with guys who are quite obviously below average.

It's the same reason why people who have a lot of money also hang out with people who have a lot of money as well: you know you're on the same page and your friends are less likely to secretly resent you.

I agree with this. Also, there are people on the other end of the spectrum who like to be the one who stands out in a group and who don't want "competition". I think the reasons vary.

IMO, it's perhaps age/location dependent. IRL, my (our when I was M) social circle ran the gamut of looks and wealth. My personal social circle of close friends still reflects that, both men and women. At my age, exteriors, for some, don't take on the same role as they did at a younger age. I do not live in a metropolitan area so that might account for some of the reality. As my stbx often said, when she lived in LA, you were what you did, wore and drove. Money, beauty and style defined your social status. Here, for some, it still does, but the highway of paths appears much wider and, to my mind, healthier.

Hmm interesting- I never paid attention to that and seem to have friends from all sorts of "looks". However, most my friends are high flying professionals and that is because of our time in uni together and then their friends are also the same so friends of the friends are also the same haha..

But never thought about looks- I,ll start observing now on :p

IMO, it's perhaps age/location dependent.

My exact thoughts.The few female friends I have are 21-23. I am 23 going on 24 years old. I went through grade school, middle school, and high school with my female friends (minus the 21 year old). Our group is very varied. The weight ranges from sizes 5-24. Height ranges from 5'0 to 5'10. The other three are social butterflies, I am not. They are trendy; I have my own style. Two of us are poor; two of use are not poor. All of us are attractive when we want to be. I know this based upon the number of stares and the amount of times we have been approached by men. We have also been approached by several women. :eek: <-- My actual face. :laugh: This is one reason I no longer go out with my friends: awkward social situations. :o