Materialistic female teenagers!

Beatnik

I saw this shirt in one of the many teenie-bopper catalogues my sister gets. I really wish I could find a pic of this shirt but here's what it says:

Recipe for Mr. Right

- 10oz. Irresistible Smile

- 150 lb. Succesful

- 2 Pints Devilish

- A Pinch of gorgeous

- 3 Cups Sense of Humor

- 2 Tablespoons of Honesty

- 10oz. of Great Kisser

- 2 lb. Bank Roll

- 7 Pair of Dreamy Eyes

- 8 Pinches of Romance

- 12oz. Athletic

Notice how the two in highest supply are ones dealing with how much money the guy makes? More even than romance, sense of humor and looks? Just goes to show you the state of mind of many young women, even if hes ugly and boring, he's a keeper if he's loaded.

This is one of the reasons I don't like most girls my age (I'm 16), for the most part they really are this shallow.

You'll eventually realize that bankroll/success oftentimes = ambition, drive goals, and desire to succeed in life.

I don't think this is a bad shirt at all. Personally, I want a guy with some drive, and not a guy who is content to sit on his butt, be lazy, and do nothing with his life.

You are around some pretty mature ladies. It is only natural that females want a male who can support them and their children financially as they move into the reproduction phase of their lives...a very important biological mandate that overcomes most.

The nesting instinct is a powerful one and a good part of that is making sure offspring are provided for in a satisfactory way. Any woman who does not explore a prospective mate's finances in some way is not fulfilling a significant part of her duties. It is just plain smart to make sure there will be financial stability in her life.

So get used to it. It's not cruel or cold for a woman to want a man who can provide her and her future children with a good life. It's a fact that will remain forever. Oh, yes, there are some women who will want you for pure love and nothing else. But if you don't have the means to give them the life they want within reason, you will end up in divorce court. Love can go broke pretty quickly without adequate funding. Money problems are among the top three reasons for divorce...probably NUMBER ONE.

Money carries many relationships forward that otherwise teeter on the brink of failure. It's just a fact. If any woman denies this, she is lying.

Now money is certainly not the most important thing. But, in my opinion, a nice house, a nice car and a nice bank account will get you the woman of your dreams a lot faster than a nice butterfly collection.

There is no difference whatsoever in a woman falling in love with a man for his a fat wallet than for his nice personality or his long penis. I think a fat wallet is probably a more rational reason, long term, for falling for somebody.

Footnote: What I have written here is not of my construction. It's just reality...the way it is. A lot of people want to deny the hell out of that fact. So what's a guy to do? Just make sure you don't reveal too much about your financial resources right off the bat. But if you have no financial resources, don't expect a whole lot from most reasonable, sane women.

Wow, I didn't know girls at 16 were learning that early. Girls you age are not shallow at all. If they are concerned about your ability to provide for them financially later on, I'd say they were damned smart!!!

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I personally want a financially independant man, bc I'm tired of every man I getting involved with being:

A) Threatened by my success or B)Broke and always needing my money.

There are too many wimpy guys who don't work for things anymore. Too many cushy males that have been overly mothered.

• Author

Don't get me wrong guys, financial security is definitly a plus in a relationship, especially for one with children. But alot of girls in my school dive for the guys with the nice cars, espensive clothes, even if they have nothing in common and don't get along well, their all preoccupied with the trophy of dating said guy. That is not a real relationship, that is gold-digging.

The superficial girls who dive for the guys with the nice cars and expensive clothes....in the end....get what they deserve.

Whatever makes them happy...so what do you think we should do about it?

HokeyReligions

Lets consider a couple of things:

This came from a teeny-bopper store. I wasn't thinking about all the bits of "reality" when I was a teenager. I was thinking about kissing and showing off and who HAD a car to get around in, and what I would wear and what my friends would think about it, etc.

I had my heart broken because I was so "in love" with someone and had sophomoric dreams about being married and having kids, and making up after a fight, and how romantic it was to share an apple because you had no money for food, etc. and not what the reality might be.

I remember crying so hard I nearly threw up when I broke up with my first "soul mate" and now that's all I can remember - I don't remember the feeling of being hurt.

As we get older we change -- what we want, what we look for, what we expect and what we hope for. At 16 I would have been appalled at what makes me happy today!

And, it doesn't matter what we look for or hold high on our priorities -- things change! I am the sole support for my whole family. My disabled mother lives with us and my husband has a disability that excludes him from working. He can do a few things and picks up some money once in a while, but it amounts to about a hundred dollars every 2 or 3 months. And when we met I never thought about money or providing because I knew and prepared for a career of my own.

So I don't think there is an "in the end" for girls, or boys. Youth is time for variety and learning about oneself. I dated one guy for 9 months only because I could wear my 5 inch heals and he was STILL taller than me! He was six feet, six and a half inches tall. We had fun and looked good together. We split up because I wouldn't have sex with him. Sounds pretty shallow huh? And now, I am very loyal and will sacrifice anything for my family and I don't care how anyone looks. I even told my husband that should it ever be necessary, his mother could move in with us and we would take care of her. EVEN knowing what kind of racist she is and how she gets my goat sometimes! :) But I didn't start out that way, and most - if not all - of the people I know now are different from the people I knew back then! We grew up and matured.

Gold-digging? No, I don't think so. Just normal / average teenage hormones and behavior.

Real Relationship? Well, what is real to you? There are all sorts of relationships. If you mean commitment - commit to what? "I will only date you, until someone better comes along, or I get tired of you" That's par for the course.

So don't give up on girls your own age - you and they will change. Have some fun and don't worry about commitment or long-term relationships -- that will happen on its own.

Oh, and I've seen some pretty damning slogans for boys too that makes it seem like they only want busty, blue-eyed, long-legged, empty-headed models with short teeth and deep throats! I know that is not true.

• 6 months later...

Actually as ladies grow up they become more mature and their view on the importance of money increases. (note: they mature faster than guys) That's what I observed. The older they get the more important money is to them. I remember when I was a teenager, my girlfriend then never mind abt money.

As time goes by, the girls I date becomes more and more money-minded. like some who mentioned in this forum. Seems like the more mature and attractive they are, the more they are interested in your finances.

I use to date a girl lately. borrows my sister's car to date her. was going quite well till i reveal to her that the car wasn't mine and started to date her without it. guess out. poof. she suddenly becomes busy and can't meet me. sad world.

Not complaining. that's life. makes me miss my teenage girlfriend back then. haha... I am stupid to have dropped her. har! now ..... though my career is going well, I better save up.. get that sports car, have a big fat bank roll.... or else gotta spend my golden years in that old folks home...

Just feel like saying something after reading.... =P

Just A Girl2

Cayote,

While there are women out there who are definite golddiggers, a lot of women in their mid to late 20's, 30's, 40's, etc are concerned about a guy's financial situation not for what he can "buy/give/provide them with" (materialistically speaking)....but just like many men out there, women want a guy who can afford to support himself and isn't one paycheck away from living on the streets. They want a guy who has worked hard to be successful at what he does..whether it's dig ditches, drive a truck, perform brain surgery, etc etc.

I'm not sure what age you are (??)...but at my age, 35 (and from the time I was 25, actually), I wouldn't dream of dating a guy who didn't have a decent vehicle...something that's well taken care of, reliable, safe, clean, within his means. It's not so much about the vehicle itself, but the principle..it shows that a guy has worked hard to get that vehicle...he manages his money so that he can pay for gas, insurance, payments......that he takes pride in taking care of it. That vehicle (or lackthereof) can tell a lot about what's important to him.

Like many other women, for myself, I've worked really hard (in school/at work/in life) to get to the point I am in my career.....my car is paid off, I own a home, I pay my bills, I live fairly comfortably.....and I expect these same sorts of things from a guy I date..after all, if a guy doesn't have this stuff in his 30's, what's he been doing with his life? P*ssing it away? Mooching off of mom and dad and still living off of them 'rent free'? NO responsibilities?

Just my take

I concur with Tony's first post. Money is important for a loving and lasting marriage. Some ladies realise this earlier, some like me realise later after going through a "money not enough, only romance relationship" and emerged wiser. For me, it's not so much for myself but my children in future. I want to spend quality time with them rather than working long hours and leaving them in childcare centres. Just my personal preferences where family life is concerned.

Just A Girl2 ,

Thanks for sharing what u girls think. Really if I am a girl I'll think the same as u.... Rich guys are definitely more attractive.

I'm a couple of years younger than u. made some costly mistakes in my earlier years. that's y trying hard to make up the lost time. but also do realise. lost time are lost for good....

Really am not complaining. Fully understand where the attractive ladies are coming from. that's y guys! having potential is not good enough! success is the only way to our dream girl. ;-)

ha! As if nobody knows... *apology*