No comprehension of my girlfriend's family situation - How do I give her support?

yebo

My 22 year old girlfriend and I are share a lot of similar traits, but one thing we don't share is our family background. There are some things we have in common, but when it comes to our parents there is no relating.

Her parents drive her crazy a lot of the time. Her mother nags and does a lot of things that mothers do. I've heard from folks that her mom can be quite a bitch, but she's nothing but nice to me. I've seen a bit of the dark side of her father, but I definitely like and get along with both of her parents.

Right now she is on a family trip to visit her brother's newborn. Her father couldn't go, so she is staying in a hotel room with her mother and her brother has his own room. It hasn't been one night yet and she's upset with her mom. Who knows what is going on, and it doesn't really matter...

The bottom line is that this doesn't happen with my parents. I don't fight with my parents. My mother might nag, but I'll essentially smile and nod or tell her to stay out of my business. My parents respect me enough to stay out of it when I don't want it.

My girlfriend and her parents don't have that respect... I don't know if I ever will get it (or want to get it).

My question is: How do you show support in these situations? When I'm present for a fight between her and her mom or dad, I uncomfortably stare elsewhere or play with the family pets waiting for it to end.

Fortunately she doesn't live with her parents anymore... perhaps I can't help, but I end up thinking she's joking sometimes when she tells me things and I get amused and laugh (not good).

Basically the situation she is in is so foreign that I have no idea what to say... making a joke of it is definitely not okay, and I'm clueless how else to behave.