Asking someone out while they're at work

CanisLatrans

CanisLatrans

So there’s this girl that I kind of dig who works at the coffee shop down the street from where I live. I’m considering asking her out, but I’m not sure if it would come across as kind of shady approaching someone while they’re at work. Also, I’m concerned that it would be so uncomfortable from there on out if I got rejected, that I would have to go get coffee somewhere else. Has anyone ever just casually asked someone out during their shift at a restaurant, store, library, etc? Or is it that you can do it if you have frequented the place often, and have kind of a rapport built up with the person before you can make an approach?

A friend of mine noticed this guy flirting with her at a coffee shop for about 6 months. He was always asking what she did the night before, or the weekend before, etc. So then he started asking about what she was doing that night, or that weekend. And he started going to those places...with his fiance. He turned out to just be a really "friendly" flirt.

Then another guy at the shop started flirting with her. She is there every single day, sometimes twice a day. This guy would also ask her what she did the night before, but wasn't as forward. He would sometimes say "I've always wanted to do that" or something similar but she couldn't tell if he was interested in her or just being nice/making conversation. Finally she asked him to hang out. He told her he had always been really interested in her and was really glad she asked him to hang out. They talked on the phone quite a bit, they talked every time she was in the shop and he was working, and he made plans with her several times but he always flaked out of them.

She feels uncomfortable around both of them, now, but it hasn't stopped her from going there daily, or multiple times each day. She says they usually go in the back when they see her coming in, or they act like they are busy when she is there and do not acknowledge her.

That's all the experience I have in that, though, and none of it is personal. Sorry I can't be of more help.