Partner and finances

Keslove

I've been seeing my significant other for almost a year now and things are great. She's thinking of going back to school and taking classes, but doesn't have the money to do so and while holding a job. She's quite independent too.

I'd like to help her out, but we haven't really had any financial discussions. We live separate and don't have any joint accounts. I don't know if it's too soon in the relationship to offer?

She knows I can afford to take her places, but should you tell someone how much your worth before you're married (or dating for awhile longer)?

Trialbyfire

I don't think you need to get into any specific details, but if you're determined to help her, let her know you're willing because you care and see how she reacts. If she declines, don't press her. She's also entitled to her pride.

One cautionary. A year is a pretty short time at your age to want to financially help someone out who you're not necessarily going to commit to for the next 5 years. If you help her for one year, then you split, where will she stand at that point, especially if she quits her job to focus on school.