Question for the ladies: Kissing on a first date

ratingsguy

I went on a first date Saturday night and we hit it off really well. We really connected well and were able to chat for hours and share a few laughs over dinner. We made plans to see each other the following weekend.

When we left and I walked my date to her car, she gave me three hugs(!) but when I went to kiss her, she wouldn't open her mouth. I tried a second time and got the same thing. I'm trying to figure out if she's just a bad kisser or if she just didn't want to open her mouth. What do you think?

First date is a kiss on the cheek or closed mouth lips. She is into you dude. Give it another date or two!

if she just didn't want to open her mouth.

:laugh: For some reason this made me laugh out loud!

Yeah, what dick said. She obviously likes ya, enough to go out with you again. Don't try to kiss her next date..But make a 3rd date and kiss her then. 3x the charm.

Good to hear you're dating and enjoying yourself.

hell yeah...

You can't force the first kiss.. as long as she didn't turn her head and you make a 2nd date then your on track..

Some women don't kiss on the first date..

Some girls don't kiss on the first date, or they get nervous about it. Other women are fine with it and expect it and wonder what is wrong with you if you don't!

The only thing I can recommend to getting a kiss at the end of the night is to escalate physical contact sooner. I'm not talking about a snog or a hand on her thigh, but slight touches to the back, holding of hands, etc. My better dates have been when I've done these things, but maybe I did them because I was having better dates!

Whatever you do, go for it with confidence. If you try to kiss her, kiss her. Let her turn her head. Also, you don't have to wait until the end of the night. If you are feeling her on your next date, kiss her halfway during it. If you are changing venues and are opening the door to your car, that is the perfect time!

If I'm extremely attracted to the guy, I will definitely kiss on the first date.

Me too but it has to be serious chemistry, otherwise a kiss on the cheek or a hug on a first date.

oh_what_am_I_doing

My first two dates with my guy ended with hugs, and it looked like the third one was going to end the same way, but I decided to give him a peck on the cheek, and then he reciprocated. That got the ball rolling! No more dates ended with just a hug! So I'd say that you should just take it slow and see where she leads you.

I always wanted to kiss on the first date. For some reason it made me feel like he was into me.

But at least she didn't turn her head away.

RG: I'm curious how you know that she didn't want to open her mouth - were you trying to pry it open? :lmao:

Yeah could you see someone doing that and the other person just not letting them in, lol!!!

Thread hijack one more time...

Solemate, your s/n is perfect to describe my last relationship. I was the mate who got walked all over. If I could steal your s/n I would. :laugh:

• Author
RG: I'm curious how you know that she didn't want to open her mouth - were you trying to pry it open? :lmao:

Ha! No, I wasn't too pushy... I left the vise in my car. :)

After trying to kiss her with an open mouth the second time, I got the hint... maybe next time!

Sounds like you got it, but I'll add that I don't kiss on the first date either.

I like the anticipation to build up. The kiss will usually happen on the third date. That way I can make sure the chemistry and the guy's personality/character are both feeling good.

I would think it would work well for a guy to do the same. A woman will usually expect you to try to kiss her, so waiting can work in your favor as well.

Just be sure to give her other signals that you are into her, like touching the small of her back while you are walking to your table, getting her car door for her, looking her in the eyes and flirting a bit.....

Oh, and I LOVE the idea of the first kiss happening at the car door between venues (as the poster said.) I can remember several first steamy kisses, my back up against the car....Very passionate and spontaneous.

The only thing I can recommend to getting a kiss at the end of the night is to escalate physical contact sooner. I'm not talking about a snog or a hand on her thigh, but slight touches to the back, holding of hands, etc. My better dates have been when I've done these things, but maybe I did them because I was having better dates!

Whatever you do, go for it with confidence. If you try to kiss her, kiss her. Let her turn her head. Also, you don't have to wait until the end of the night. If you are feeling her on your next date, kiss her halfway during it. If you are changing venues and are opening the door to your car, that is the perfect time!

Ditto this 100%.

Just re-read that part about whatever you do, do it with confidence.

It made me remember something. Don't ever ask a girl if you can kiss her. Just do it. We like that kind of confidence. And you don't want us to think, either, you want us to react physically.

I think that Oppath is dead on about touching during the date, getting that green light from the woman that she is okay with that. It does all lead up to the kiss being a natural progression.

reservoirdog1

Sounds like she's into you.

That being the case... my personal rule, and it didn't steer me wrong in 2.5 years of dating before meeting my now GF, is that if there's no kiss (and I mean a REAL kiss, not a peck) by the end of the second date, forget it. And a real kiss during or at the end of the first date is even better, obviously.

It all comes down to chemistry. If there's no proper kiss by the end of date #2, it either means there's no chemistry or that the other person isn't sufficiently sexual to entertain the idea of further dates with.

To me, the mark of a great first date is that you both want to tear each other's clothes off. Actually gettin' jiggy isn't a requirement for the first date to still be great. GF and I did some pretty heavy fooling around on our first date but kept it all above the belt. Date #2 was amazing.

On your next date with her, make sure that wherever you go, you're sitting close to each other. Not across a table -- sit at perpendicular sides of a table. Try to engineer things so that there are subtle hand touches during the date. Gradually move your face closer to hers without getting in her personal space. Steer the conversation towards sexual topics without being overt about it. Flirt with her. Tease her a bit. And at some point, there will probably be a moment where you're both looking into each other's eyes and there's a pause in conversation that's slightly too long to be comfortable. That's when you say "I'm finding it really hard to not kiss you right now." Her reaction to that should give you all the info you need about whether or not you should go for it.

"I'm finding it really hard to not kiss you right now."

Does this not count as being a bit like asking to kiss her? Never said it (or actually asked to kiss a girl) so interested to know if it drives a girl wild!!

I know what you mean about sitting across the table. If we've a few times and still every time she sits down she sits opposite me, then I take it as a sign of disinterest.

I've only ever been on one first date where we haven't ended up kissing and she actually turned away a bit. Though we went out again and we kissed on the 2nd date and she was actually really apologetic that she'd turned away, she said it was because she was nervous. Girls, eh?!!

reservoirdog1
Does this not count as being a bit like asking to kiss her? Never said it (or actually asked to kiss a girl) so interested to know if it drives a girl wild!!

It's definitely worked for me on several occasions. One of the most memorable was the first time I tried it. We'd done most of the stuff I mentioned above (sitting in the bar, perpendicular sides of the table, etc.) and the tension was ratcheting up. I can't remember exactly what she said in response but it was clear she liked the idea. I leaned in, touched my lips to hers, pulled back, and did that again. Nothing fancier than that. Her response to that was "wow." The rest of the date was pretty damned great after that.

It's definitely worked for me on several occasions. One of the most memorable was the first time I tried it. We'd done most of the stuff I mentioned above (sitting in the bar, perpendicular sides of the table, etc.) and the tension was ratcheting up. I can't remember exactly what she said in response but it was clear she liked the idea. I leaned in, touched my lips to hers, pulled back, and did that again. Nothing fancier than that. Her response to that was "wow." The rest of the date was pretty damned great after that.

Wow that's smooth. I like that.

I always wanted to kiss on the first date. For some reason it made me feel like he was into me.

But at least she didn't turn her head away.

Went out on a couple dates with this girl. Each time I would make a move to kiss her she would turn her head and I would get her cheek. It frustrated the HELL out of me and finally we met up at a bar (date #4) for drinks. Walked her to her car and kissed her on the cheek. Then WHAM, our lips met and it was magical.

So just give it some time DUDE, when it's meant to be, it will happen with gusto.

This is probably no different than what the others said but ill say it.

Whatever you do, in most cases girls expect a guy to kiss her after the first date. Keep an eye out for subtle body languages that indicate if she digs you and is anticpating a kiss, either during or at hte end of the night.

Do it with confidence. If you choke on date 1, the general rule of thumb is you must do it on date 2...or else she'll think you're gay (or not into her).

Some girls are just as nervous as you are, and some dont like the idea of 'being easy' so they prefer to be a challenge for the first date.

Like you something similar happened to me with a girl i dated awhile back. Date 2 i didnt bother. Date 3, full blow make out session.

A lot of times patience and persistence pays off, just dont come on too strong or act desperate.