Materialistic Man

I have been with the same man for the past four years and our relationship has been all about him for just as long. The problem I have is that I feel I can't do anything right in his eyes. He tells me that I need to help him with his chores (laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. and we do not live together), and also help him outside (he has 5 acres to tend to), otherwise I am useless. He has an eight-year-old daugter whom he loves more than life itself and he expects me to love her as much as he does and babysit her when he wants to work overtime.

I am presently attending graduate school, and have raised my three children ... they are intelligent, loving , successful, and caring human beings. I work, go to university, and try very hard to keep this four-year relationship alive. But I am at my wits end. It all started the day after Christmas.

I don't have much money, because I am a student and single mom, but I bought a mini-vacation for my BF and me ... it was a weekend getaway, and I was really excited to give it to him for Christmas. Long story short, it interferes with football playoffs, and my BF basically told me it was the worst gift he's ever received for Christmas. I am now beginning to believe he is very materialistic, as he stated that he didn't get what he wanted for Christmas ... my gift was not good enough for him. My feelings are terribly hurt and I am thinking about ending the relationship because of his reaction.

PLEASE!!! I need advise from anyone who feels let down by their gifts or has had a similar reaction from their significant other.

I haven't been in this situation but I can tell you what any outsider would tell you about this situation. WOW, what a jerk. He obviously is taking advantage of you, showing no appreciation, or celebrating you & your relationship. ANY gift my SO gives me is ALWAYS going to be good enough. Whether he didn't give much thought to it or whether he planned out a nice weekend-getaway, I would at the least appreciate him giving me a gift because I love him. Your SO is materialistic & self-centered.

I mean seriously... a few football games.... over a weekend or relaxing with the woman he loves.... HE CAN RECORD THOSE GAMES or get a friend to. IT'S FREAKING TELEVISION! Oh my god. Seriously, don't second guess yourself, this man doesn't deserve you!!!!! You need a man who will love & appreciate you not stomp all over you & insult you like that.

Anyone in their right mind would pick a vacation over a football game especially with some one they love. He can't even recognize how inconsiderate he sounded, if he did he would've apologised.

Please leave this self-centered a**hole!!!! Saying he's "materialistic" is giving him too much credit. He is a self-centered a**hole & because he can't even recognize his own issues, he's not going to change for you. You deserve soooooooo much more. Stop playing his game & leave.

If someone got me a mini-vactation, I would say the h*ll w/ TV and go!

It sounds like you do pretty much everything in this relationship. When are you gonna realize that you don't deserve to be treated this way?

I agree with brickaney. This has nothing to do with being materialistic and everything to do with being a first class jerk!

Why do you put up with that? I think your problem with him began WAY before xmas. His reaction to your gift just showed you even more what he's about. But he's been a jerk all along.

Get rid of him unless you want years more of pain and disappointment. Find a man who will cherish you for YOU and not for what you can do (or buy) him.

I agree with brickaney. This has nothing to do with being materialistic and everything to do with being a first class jerk!

Why do you put up with that? I think your problem with him began WAY before xmas. His reaction to your gift just showed you even more what he's about. But he's been a jerk all along.

Get rid of him unless you want years more of pain and disappointment. Find a man who will cherish you for YOU and not for what you can do (or buy) him.

Took the words out of my mouth.