Am I a true friend?

I listen to my friend make bad choices, like a never ending cycle. But now it has become more serious (IMO) because it involves her child. Her child is a teen now and he is not in school, drinks and do drugs, and (I think) involved in some type of gang activity (at the minimum he is a wannabe) I listen to her without judging (I think) but after hearing her crying about his situation thats it. She does nothing to improve. She might be of those who would rather be a friend to their child than a parent. The final straw is that I hear her cry and sob and do everything for men in her life, even her pets, while her son just sits by the wayside. I have offered to help her look into resources for her son (we live in different parts of the state) but I can tell she is half listening because soon after she is "well, last night I met this guy..." Am I being a friend by just listening to her, or should I say something more about it? I know she is an adult (chronologically) and I cant force her to do anything, but I have known her (and her son) for several years and I can see him being a case "dead or in jail by the time he is 18".

I think it's time you light the fire under her butt. And this can be done in a nice respectful way. She needs encouragement, but some harshness too. Sympathize with her, but tell her she MUST get her crap together, stop being her kids friend and be a MOM to him. That is what he needs! Discipline, and boundries. I'm not judging your friend or what how she handles her life but it does seem from what you've said there are some issues and the sooner she stands up and deal with them head-on, then some serious changes for the better can be made.