In a messy situation with friend

A few months ago, me and my friend of two years decided to rent an apartment together. We had both been looking to get larger apartments and decided getting a two bedroom would be a good idea. I had no reason really to leave my current place, and I am majorly regretting it now.

She has already moved in. I am supposed to move in for July. I had to get my landlord to find a new tenant as I couldn't give enough notice to move out. There has been no new tenant to replace me and my landlord offered for me to stay longer if I need.

My friend just quit her job because it was getting stressful. It was a good job with career building potential. One of the reasons why I moved in with her was because we would both be financially stable and working. Now that she has quit, I am second guessing moving in. Previously to getting this job, she was unemployed for almost a year and had really bad habits of drinking and partying too much. I had no idea she was going to quit this job and she seemed to really like it, so I figured it would be a good time to live together.

I am at a point in my life where I have moved past living an unhealthy lifestyle and don't want any part of it. My fear is that living with her, my life might be disrupted since she is not working and potentially falling back in bad habits. I REALLY don't want to move now, but she has already moved in and I signed a lease. I could help her find someone to rent my side, but I am mostly concerned with how I am going to break the news to her. I made a mistake by doing all this, and it's causing me so much stress and guilt. It feels like our friendship has been dying as well over the past while, as I have gotten my life to a good spot, she has been a toxic influence on me in the past.

How should I tell her I don't want to live with her anymore?

You gotta straight up tell her.

Losing the friendship isn't the problem. You being legal responsible for 2 rents is the problem. If she flakes & bails on the lease you jointly signed you get that you will be responsible for 100% of that rent because you will be the person that landlord can find. Do get somebody to take over one of these leases ASAP before you lose your shirt.

• Like 2

Have you asked her how she is going to afford to pay the rent without a job?

Personally I would not be moving in with her.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not too late. Just tell her. She may be relieved since she lost her job. She needs to go live with some relatives for awhile. Tell her, I hope you get on your feet soon. I can't be in a lease with someone unemployed.

• Like 1

Just telling your friend is not the real problem. You already SIGNED the lease. It is a legally binding contract. Even though you haven't move in. The landlord can still hold you to the obligations you made thereunder.

Oh, missed that. Thought you were acting like you could get out of it? You need to talk to the landlord and TELL him she lost her job and can you both get out of the lease. Knowing she has no job, he/she might be more than happy to cancel it.

• Like 1

Do not support your friend, she may never stop expecting you to be the strong one or rich one etc.

What is she up to - going jobless - just when you are about to live together?

Is this her plan? To manipulate you into paying? How well do you know her? 2 years is not long

Edited by darkmoon
  • Like 1

I agree with previous responses - (1) just tell your friend you've changed your mind (it will be awkward,but there's no way around it), and (2) talk to the landlord and explain your friend's job loss. They probably don't want to have to worry about collecting the rent and will let you out. Check your lease - the worst may be that if you break the lease early you have to pay a set amount (2 months' rent for example).