Break up a friendship??

henry9x9

What verb should I use if I want to say that I'm no longer friends with one of my friends. Can I use BREAK UP? Or does break up always imply that it is a love relationship? So, how can we avoid ambiguity?

Do men and women use the same expressions to say that they are no longer friends with someone?

Cheers

You don't have to say or do anything.

It isn't a contract that you have to break.

You just stop initiating contact with them and stop spending time with them. It is no more complicated that that.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know your entire situation so your mileage may vary on my advice, it's from personal experience.

I had a friend in highschool, we were part of a tight knit group. we hung out all the time in our 20s and early 30s. This particular friend had some irksome qualities like compulsive lying, cheating, etc. But he had a great personality and we had tons in common, we had a lot of fun together. Over the years I let his faults get to me. I remember the moment I called the friendship off. He had screwed me on a deal we agreed upon, forced my hand by keeping some of his equipment to cover the dollar amount I lost in the deal. We haven't spoken in about 6 years. In that time I've realized that the good times we had outwiegh his faults. What you realize as you get older is that honest, intimate (not sexually, ya perv) friendships are incredibly rare. When you have a great connection you owe it to yourself to maintain it. We have recently reconnected. I think the long break did the friendship good, let him reflect and let me do the same. It's gonna get ugly. words will be said. feelings will be hurt. it's unavoidable. try to learn from it and realize this may not be the end but just a part of the road your friendship with this person takes.

Now if he is kinda a jackass and he screws you over and you don't really enjoy hanging out, then just kick em to the curb. Do the positives outweigh the negative or vice versa.

Edited by suhbliem