Should I stay friends with her?

allison_hn

I have a friend who I've been friends with for 8+ years. She has her own personal problems including depression. She is now a single parent due to a divorce. She has never initiated a catch up session and now that I've moved, we barely see each other. I've noticed that recently every time we catch up that there are other people there, never just us two. I feel that this friendship is one-sided, but I know she's got her own issues. I recently told her about a promotion at work, but she didn't say anything or congratulate me. I found out that she lost her job recently, but didn't say anything about it to me. Should still be friends with her?

sadwithouthim

I wouldn't take it personally. Sometimes, people feel overwhelmed with personal problems. It might make her feel bad that you got promoted if she's having hard times in the area of work. She may have just felt inferior. I would still reach out and try to be encouraging to her.

Ditch her! Please don’t waste your time on someone who doesn’t value you. I don’t care what problems she may have, if everything is one sided, then she ain’t interested

And the fact that she didn’t say anything to you about your promotion speaks volumes. She should have been happy for you and even though her job situation sucks, shows that she really isn’t a true friend at all. Look here, she lost her job and you got a promotion, seems like she is jealous of your success.

Is there some negative issue I am missing? Yes, you have drifted a part and she has some really difficult issues to deal with right now. That doesn’t mean at some point in the future th8ngs will be the same.

I'd say let it kind of go by the wayside unless she reaches out. I was out of work and depressed before, but I never had a problem being happy if a friend got a good job or whatever. That's pretty self-centered. Just her having a kid is probably 90 percent why she's checked out, though.

It looks like your friend is going through alot right know and its best she is left alone doing what she needs to. if she needs you she will reach out but always check up on her. send her a text here and there to let her know you are still there.