I feel this one sentence is.....

somuchmusic

So the other day I had a discussion with a friend. She's been kind of MiA from my life for a while, it's super annoying but I got over it since well... if she doesn't care, why should I? So at one point during the discussion she wrote: I hope you understand.

I hope you understand.....

I know it may seem nice but to me this is such an emotional blackmail sentence. And this is not the first time. When another friend and I were having a discussion about something (a while ago), at one point she wrote: I hope you understand. As in, I just did something which is quite poopy and not very nice, but I did it and I hope you understand (clearly not a direct quote).

I feel I am not explaining this very well, but if you know what I'm talking about, please let me know. :)

I feel I am not explaining this very well, but if you know what I'm talking about, please let me know. :)
I *think* I understand...but, if not, I hope you understand. :).

To me, the phrase is not meant as emotional blackmail, but rather, people are appealing to your sense of compassion and forgiveness.

Yes, they are acknowledging that they recognize that their action/behaviour was poor, hurtful or non-constructive...but...that is precisely part of a proper apology.

A proper response might be, though, "I do understand, but you also need to understand that I also need to hear that you're sorry, and are going to do your best to not let this happen again."

• Like 1