Is it wrong to wish a once close-friend Happy Birthday on Facebook instead of texting

Tallgirl91

Kind of might seem like a silly question but bear with me! I graduated college a little over a year ago and have been trying to maintain a group of friends that I had throughout all 4 years! I still feel pretty close with 3 of the 4 but I haven’t really spoken with the 4th one in a year. I reached out to her last June but she never reached out to me after that! Her birthday was in March and I normally text her happy birthday but this time I posted on her Facebook wall. My birthday was yesterday and she didn’t even wish me a happy birthday! You think it’s because I didn’t send her a text on her’s but posted on her fb? Maybe she felt it was too impersonal? Or maybe I’m just overthinking this?

You did more than you needed to if she doesn't even remember yours or try to be friends. Don't worry about it at all.

IndigoNight

If this person did not respond to you after you reached out, she may not want to stay in contact with you. If she did not acknowledge your birthday, there should be no expectation for you to make the effort to acknowledge hers.

One of the harder lessons my daughter learned was that just because someone was a close friend at school, didn't mean it would last forever. Once she graduated, most of the people she believed were her good friends slowly vanished. They moved on with their lives, and so did she. People often change who they stay in contact with as their lives change. It's just part of life.

Over time, friendships die out if no effort is made on either side to maintain them. It's a little sad, but that's the nature of life and friendships. People drift in and out of your life, and you end up spending the most time with those who you consider important while others fall by the wayside.

If you valued the time you spent together and want to bring back the friendship, it's worth trying to reach out again, but don't mention the lack of birthday message - you want to be positive!

If she's like me, she may not have even seen the birthday reminders on FB.

But yeah, I think she is drifting away. Let her go amicably

• 2 weeks later...
Kind of might seem like a silly question but bear with me! I graduated college a little over a year ago and have been trying to maintain a group of friends that I had throughout all 4 years! I still feel pretty close with 3 of the 4 but I haven’t really spoken with the 4th one in a year. I reached out to her last June but she never reached out to me after that! Her birthday was in March and I normally text her happy birthday but this time I posted on her Facebook wall. My birthday was yesterday and she didn’t even wish me a happy birthday! You think it’s because I didn’t send her a text on her’s but posted on her fb? Maybe she felt it was too impersonal? Or maybe I’m just overthinking this?

No, I just think she forgot your birthday. She's probably too busy with her life.

Birthdays are a great time to reach out to a distant friend... maybe try again, maybe she was just busy with life, starting a new job? (I assume because you said you all just graduated last year), who knows. Maybe call her instead of texting. If you're all such good friends I think calling is a great idea. Good luck.