Would it be weird to add this guy on social media?

purplesoccer34

purplesoccer34

I recently ran into a guy that I've known basically ever since I was born - our parents met some three decades ago, and have been close friends ever since. Hence, I essentially grew up with this guy and his siblings, and saw them frequently when I was in elementary school.

When we got to middle school and beyond however, we all stopped seeing each other, as we got busy with our lives. But our parents stayed good friends and continued to meet as often as they could. In fact, they are now closer than ever.

Just a few months ago, I ran into this guy at a restaurant. He came up to me to say hello, and I was stunned. I couldn't believe that he remembered me after all these years - so many memories came flooding back. However, the situation was such that we couldn't really talk much (I was with other friends) - I said hello back, and that was the end of the conversation. I may have honestly been so surprised to see him that I couldn't think of anything else to say in that moment.

When he left, I was kicking myself while thinking of the various ways in which I could have continued the conversation. I even tried to find him later that evening, but to no avail.

I know this guy is on social media because we have a few mutual friends (for example, our parents are friends on facebook, and I'm also facebook friends with his sisters). Some part of me wants to add him and continue the conversation that could have taken place at that restaurant, but I would fear looking like a creep.

I generally hesitate a lot before adding anyone on social media, so maybe I'm being paranoid. Is it a good idea to add this guy and strike up a convo? After all, I don't think we've spoken at all since we were young children, and now I'm in my mid-20s and he's in his early 30s.

healing light

I don't think it's weird at all. I am 32 and get requests from people I haven't spoken to since elementary school--and wasn't ever good friends with. So, I'd just send the add and let him initiate more conversation if you're that worried about it.

• Like 1