close friend who constantly needs attention...

Beautywithin

We work together and are close friends, we work alongside a lot of males in a company, she has always been the one to want attention from men from the start and is a big flirt but lately its getting really bad to the point if anyone says anything nice about me, she quickly has to say something snappy or rude! its only at work i find she is really like this, she puts me and her in competition and try's to put me down to make her look good! its really making me back off from her, also if we are having a debate at work, you have to agree with her otherwise she gets snappy!

not sure what i should do or say, as either way if i say anything she will take it the wrong way.

Aww…this must be quite a frustrating situation. Have you ever spoken to your friend upfront about her behavior? If, like you said, you guys are close, she should be mindful of her behavior towards you. Take care!

I'm not so sure she's really your 'friend'. Maybe put that to the test and point out her behaviour? Just say in a pleasant tone of voice, "Why do you usually snipe at me if someone says something nice about me?" It will give her a shock and jolt her a little because she's so busy thinking she's superior in your 'friendship' that she's acting like you don't have a brain and won't notice how rude she is. On the upside, I would guess her behaviour is motivated by jealousy, so each time she takes a swipe just remember that and grow a little from the knowledge that she envies you. Chronic attention seekers are always insecure people, that's why they need the constant reassurance that other people like and approve of them, keep that in mind.

As far as always having to agree with her goes, nope, you don't. Overly opinionated people only keep shoving their views down your throat when you allow them to. They get a rude surprise if someone openly disagrees with them, you don't have to argue with her, just state that you think something different. They get a rude surprise if they encounter someone who challenges them. Do it once, and watch her attitude towards you change.

Sounds like a sibling. You don't have to take that from friends. You can drop them. You can also loudly bust them for it at the time they do it, like, she's competing for attention and some guy is talking to you and she says something demeaning, you stop and loudly go, Well, THAT was rude! Do you mind? He and I were talking, and ask her to go away.

Also you can send her something about self-esteem you can research online because those who put others down to make themselves feel superior have low self-esteem and sometimes once they know the reason and know others know it, they will stop.

• Like 1